Bonaire versus Maldives versus Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

out of curiosity - which destination did you ultimately choose? i was recently in bonaire as a single diver and found it to be very relaxing, as the dives are friendly and there is not too much to worry about (visibility, currents, swells, etc) but forgettable. palau, for me, was just much more of an exciting place to dive and explore.

I have a trip to Palau booked in late May 2009. My work calendar is complicated and that was the best time for me to go, and it sounded like Palau would be better weather-wise than the Maldives at that particular time. Now I just have to hope that the Ocean Hunter I fills up with a few more people; they've had a slow booking season this spring, presumably due to the worldwide recession.

That's excellent news! I was just on a 7 day trip with Ocean Hunter I in early January, there were total of 3 divers on the boat (including me!) and it was splendid. So good that I am actually headed back on the boat this coming Monday for another 10 day trip. I live in NYC so coming out to this area is rare for me - want to make the most out of my time here.

This coming trip is a full charter so I'll let you know what the difference is between the two trips, but I have to say that the operations for OH1 are great. We dove some sites and spent some time with OH3 (ran into them at Jelly Fish lake, dove ULong Channel and ULong express with them) - in my opinion I think OH1 offers a better experience because there are less divers. Navot says bookings are slow, but there are always a lot of last minute bookings as well so I wouldn't worry too much!

I've only been to Bonaire, with my wife, of the places you mentioned. We went in May of 2007. I really liked being able to dive on our own schedule, and did a few dives by myself- something I've never done. The reef health and biodiversity was quite nice, but compared to a place like Cozumel, I started to take the reefs a little for granted, mainly due to the fairly similar topography. You swim out to where the wall starts- about 30 feet, which drops to about 70 or 80, and then down to about 140. That said, you can really spend a lot of time underwater if you restrict your depth to 50 or 60 feet. There weren't many compelling reasons to go that deep, other than the wreck, the Helma Hooker. That's in about 90', and worth it. You could do as many dives as you like, so if your by yourself and are into it, you could dive your ass off. We stayed at Captain Don's in a 1 bedroom that was right on the water, with a nice reef right in front. I regret not doing more night dives there, as it was only about a 40 yard swim to the drop off. I'd go again, but maybe with another couple. There are more sites than you could probably be hit in a week, even diving 5x per day.

Have not been to the Maldives. But if you have a choice between Palau and the Maldives.. I just dont think you could possible go wrong with either. Both should be amazing diving pinnacles.

Bonaire should not even be in the list. :) I love it, but the OP is talking extremes..

I know it's a really old thread.. but since I have visited all 3 locations now. I can say

1.-PALAU
2.-MALDIVES (very close to Palau)
BONAIRE

I have been to both Palau and Bonaire and I would have to say they really aren't in the same class. If only I could get to Palau as easy as I can get to Bonaire!

Have not been to Maldives.

There is no comparisin between Palau & Bonaire

Palau is world class, with thousands of large & small species. Incredible wrecks & reefs, brilliant soft corals, giant clams, sharks everywhere. Mantas and Napoleon fish are common. Absolutely huge schools of fish. Diving Palau requires advanced diving skills due to currents & sometimes big seas.

Bonaire is not in the same league. A nice laid back island with nice reef diving. Seeing big
animals is rare. Not even remotely close to Palau.

Every time we go to the Caribbean, we wonder why (St Lucia, Jamaica, Bonaire, Roatan, Cozumel, Cuba.) The clarity of the water and the variety of marine life is so very much greater in the pacific. I've been to all three. Bonaire pales by comparison in everything but cost to Palau and Maldives. Indonesia is also a good option. We loved the trip we did on the Panunee to Derawan, Sangalaki, and Kakaban (jellyfish lake.) Panunee Co., Ltd. there were divers without a hugh amount of experience being well looked after by a phenomenal crew. Fish and Fins is a great operation in Palau if you stay at a resort and do day dives. In the Maldives, there is a new boat, MV Orion, that we are going on next month. Diving in the Maldives Homepage that may be the best liveaboard in Maldives. Best person to help you may be Nancy at LiveWell Ventures -- Global Dive - Adventure Travel - Exotic Locations she has a hugh amount of personal experience and is the US representative for MV Orion.

Hi - I'm the original poster - I spent a week on the Ocean Hunter I in Palau in May and had a fantabulous time! Unquestionably the best, and wildest, diving I've had since I started 5 years ago. Now I have to get to someplace else in the Pacific, or to the Maldives, to compare... So to me this thread is still valuable to see what people have to say about different destinations worldwide.

Back
Top Bottom