Palau, Milne Bay or Raja Ampat around Easter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I am AOWD, 800+ dives. I am looking for a good dive destination around Easter with beautiful reefs and big stuff (but without crazy currents like in Komodo or negative entries like in Maldives). All the destinations involve a lot of travel time. I have only been to Raja Ampat, but that is only worth it for me if Misool is included. It is the season for Milne bay, but I wonder whether it is worth all the efforts compared to Palau and Raja Ampat.
The option that seems to be easiest to organize is Palau. I thought about going to Carp Island to be at the best dive spots before the crowds arrive. Or would you recommend staying in Koror or combining both places as I am staying 2 weeks? Or would you recommend a liveaboard? Is there good place to see dugongs?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Liberty

I love nudibranchs and Milne Bay was great for that. As we were getting ready to go in for one dive (I was sitting on the dive deck ready to slide in) a pod of dolphins and an orca swam into the bay. Decided not to slide right then. I really enjoyed my time there. I can't remember much big, but then I'm not that interested in big stuff. I'd like to get back to PNG but I'm stymied at the visa process. Mantas are a sure thing off Nusa Penida in Bali year round, but molamolas are the second part of the year (not worth chasing in my humble opinion). Alor can have huge stuff but March is the end of the rainy season My favorite dive location is Alor. I have only been there in the later part of the year. I'm headed back in June to hopefully see hammerheads. On my last trip there were three blue whales in the area which some got to snorkel with. There have been lots of dolphins.

Thank you very much. You have been very lucky in Alor. I dived there in August, just a reef shark, a Napoleon wrasse, but good coral ans small stuff.
I travel mostly in late summer. That is why this time I want to go to a place that is best in March/April.

Raja is better than Palau, but as noted Palau is a lot easier logistically unless you are already in Indonesia. Would recommend a liveaboard in Palau. Generally see the same sites but you will have more diving and less commuting to the sites. You might mix with a few days land before the live aboard. Gets you acclimated to the water etc and provides a buffer for any travel delays. The restaurants and hotels on land are enjoyable , I just prefer the liveaboard for the heart of the trip.

Have never been to Milne , so will have to defer to others (though the logistics are probably the toughest and least reliable of the three )

Most definitely Indonesia over Palau. Palau has more sharks than Indo but I found it was lacking in soft coral and the macro life that goes with it, it has some spectacular hard coral and nice fish life and is super sharky and has Manta's too, but I like soft coral habitat and all the color and fish life it brings to a reef.

Milne Bay? On my bucket list but so hard to get to and really pricey. There was just riots and looting and have been a few robberies at resorts there over the past few years so security could be an issue. Diving wise it's sopposed to be spectacular.

Komodo isn't just about currents I love the diving there. I love diving Komodo from a LOB or land based at Scuba Junkies. Raja Ampat I love too, and yes I wouldn't dive it unless Misool was on the itinerary. Have you looked into Alor? Never done it myself but has high marks amongst many well traveled divers.

Thank you very much for your answers. I enjoyed colourful coral and great macro stuff in North Sulawesi last year. Thus, on the next trip, I want more sharks and big fish than in Indonesia.
Actually, I dived with Scubajunkies and from a Liveaboard in Komodo in summer. But definitely too much current. Alor is also a lot of hassle to get to, and it wasn´t great.

Best regards,
Liberty

As you look into Palau here's some of my thoughts.
LOB vs Landbased... I did landbased with Sams, as a single diver I was shuffled around from group to group and guide to guide, untill I requested a group/guide that I liked diving with. A friend uses Palau Dive Adventures and likes them alot, it's a small operation so you have less of chance of being "lost in the crowd" as I was at Sams. The trips out to the divesites are around 45 minutes or so and beautiful. Make sure you bring a rain jacket as if a storm breaks out it can get wet on the boat. As your looking at going for two weeks maybee a LOB then land based?

The diving...I loved it at the time, I was there mostly for the shark action but the Manta's were a treat too as it was the first time I saw mantas.
The hard corals are really nice, Ulong Channel has some spectacular lettuce corals, and is a fun drift dive. As I said the soft coral habitat is very minimal and so is the macro life since it needs lots of diversity in habitats to flourish. The best soft coral habitat I saw was on the wrecks inside of the barrier reef.

Thank you very much for your answers. I enjoyed colourful coral and great macro stuff in North Sulawesi last year. Thus, on the next trip, I want more sharks and big fish than in Indonesia.
Actually, I dived with Scubajunkies and from a Liveaboard in Komodo in summer. But definitely too much current. Alor is also a lot of hassle to get to, and it wasn´t great.

Best regards,
Liberty

When I plan trips if I wan't to minimize exposure to current I schedule around the half moon phases. It can make quite a bit of difference but also the time of day tidal changes from low-slack-high and back make a huge difference.
I'm suprised you didn't like Alor, it gets high marks from so many well travelled divers. What didn't you like about it?

I'm suprised you didn't like Alor, it gets high marks from so many well travelled divers. What didn't you like about it?
Well, it is quite a hassle to get there. And all the big fish we saw was a Napoleon wrasse and a reef shark. Some good coral and small stuff, but nothing really special.
I also heard others that it was overrated.
There are several shops in Alor, and maybe, we didn´t get to the best sites.
Best regards,
Liberty

Palau
Dived with Sam Tour on my first visit and I really hate the daily bumpy and long transfer.
LoB was so much civilized on my next visit. You will be diving eg Blue Corner before the day boats arrived. I counted 26 dive boats around the area. Current can be strong so reef hook was recommended by both operators.

Dugong
Snorkellers have seen them in Kri Island(R4).
R4 is great and so is Komodo.

PNG
Only did couple of good dives at Madang over 20 hrs ago.

@Liberty01
Just be on the safe side, either Palau or R4. Typhoon season is from June onward in Palau.

Back
Top Bottom