Bonaire wastewater problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"clear but toxic"

A properly built septic system will not produce "toxic" water. The chambers are party designed to settle solids (that do need to be pumped out from time to time), but also there to give bacteria time to consume the waste and organics. The last step of allowing the water to flow through porous rock serves to filter the water.

Not sure what your level of expertise is in this area, but septic systems are used all over the world and do the same exact thing as a treatment plant. The key is to ensure they are designed properly and maintained.

Waste treatment plants do nothing but aerate the water to allow bacteria to work quickly on the waste, then filter the water before discharge. Same thing as a septic system.

So, to answer your question "does anyone think this is a good idea?". I say, yes. It is. What else do you propose they do? Store sewage in big tanks and haul them away every day?

I'll agree with this. I would also say that this method has been in heavy use for decades on this island, and with one of the healthiest reefs in the Caribbean, I am pretty sure whatever discharge makes it to the sea is not toxic.

Well - just to clarify (pun intended), I'm not trying to be a jerk.

It's just that what's ideal and what's practical are sometimes miles apart. It's not like raw sewage is being pumped to the ocean when septic systems are used.

On top of that, no matter what we do, we impact the environment. A billion dollar treatment plant on Bonaire will still produce waste (biosolids), consume energy, and require many miles of trenching for underground sewer pipes.

For now, I think we should all minimize our impact - recycling, NOT buying bottled water, etc. :D

Bebo, do you understand what a septic system is, or realize that it's a common and effective method of sewage treatment in many places? Different styles of septic systems are used around the world and work just fine. I've got one as does everyone else in my town. I also have a well and we've got some of the best drinking water around.

Pipes to a central treatment plan have the advantage that they don't have to pump tanks or worry about maintenance of a septic system. And it's obviously an advantage where the ground is unsuitable or there's no room for a large enough septic system - for example in a city or densely populated area. There's certain things a septic system doesn't handle well, like grease. But an expensive and higher tech solution is not always inherently superior. (In many places it's probably better to have septic systems tricking the water back to recharge the groundwater than it is to pump it to a treatment plant and eventually to a river or the sea.)

A plant and sewage lines will eventually scale better as a place gets built up. I suspect that people who know what they are talking about and push for a plant are thinking about this long term side of things. It's probably a good idea. But I see nothing in the original post that indicates any hotel is being negligent or dumping toxic material.

Seems to be a lot of different interpretations of what "toxic" means. To me "toxic" would imply heavy metals e.g. lead,mercury etc or organic pollutants such as pesticides,dioxins,pcb's and so on.

What should be coming out of a septic system is nutrients;nitrates,phosphates etc. Great for putting on gardens and golf courses but not so great on reefs as it will cause plant (algae) growth which will trash the visibility and make life harder for corals.

Can I assume this thread is about nutrients not toxins?

It's not like raw sewage is being pumped to the ocean when septic systems are used.

I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly is being released into the ocean when septic systems are being used?

I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly is being released into the ocean when septic systems are being used?

Raw sewage would include fecal matter (ewwww) and tissue paper and all the nasties

Treated sewage (via treatment plant or septic) has allowed bacteria to break these, um... "nutrients" down to more tolerable components like nitrates, ammonia, phosphates, etc. By percolating through the ground, any particulate matter (poopies) that may have escaped the septic tank are also left behind and eventually consumed by bacteria in the ground.

Now... ammonia and nitrates sound scary, but they are EASILY consumed by bacteria, etc. They are also present at a few parts per million (small amounts). The downside is that algae and non-native bacteria may thrive if this becomes a significant contaminant in the reef system.

On that note, 50,000 gallons per day of treated waste water dumped to the reefs around Bonaire are really a drop in the bucket. I know that sounds like a lot, but it's not. Los Angeles' waste water plant discharges 300,000,000 gallons per day to Santa Monica bay.

OK. Enough of the geeky chemistry stuff. Gotta catch a flight in 3 hours. To Bonaire!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

poop water- bad, reef -good. don't mix the two.
Is it safe to assume that divers are nature lovers? someone is making a mess in your park and they are doing it intentionally. you don't have to take my word for it. check out bonaire talk , get irritated and write to bonaire hotels, dive shops, the tourist board and stinapa. you have a voice. first get it out in the open and there will be a proper solution.
bonaire dive shop and hotel operators will visit here. they will confuse and diffuse.
i ask this of you because bonaire is my hearts home.
bebo

The only long term solution for Bonaire is a central treatment plant that disperses the treated effluent over a broad area that is generally used as a golf course. Please don't complain if you hear that a golf course is planned for Bonaire. The remaining solid waste is treated and makes fantastic compost. In this case, a golf course will save the reef by using the nutrients. It is a very elegant solution that has been proven to work along the corridor between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo.

bonaire actually has a golf course, it's on the East side over by Sorobon :wink:

Home

Bebo....

Have you checked the Bonaire Reporter this week? I am not on island, but if I recall, 2 million NAF has been approved to have an interim facility that will treat sewage water that is pumped out of septics on Bonaire. More details are in the Reporter. Also, the majority of what you are saying is redundant, and has been posted on other boards as well as papers.

You are also not stating that plans are in the works for "city like" sewer system and treatment plant, and yes it will not be completed until 2014 or so (if I recall, construction will start in 2010). Also there are A LOT of resorts on the sea that treat the "water". I know that our facility, we are not on the water, but as stated in previous posts, we have a properly constructed tank, that DOES NOT LEACH, and we treat it monthly with wonder little poopy eating bacteria. We also utilize our shower and sink water to water our plants.

I am not saying that there is not a problem, but PLEASE post ALL sides of the situation and give credit where credit is due. A LOT of commercial properties either have an interum solution until the "city" style sewer is in and are working on the best solutions on all sides.

Thanks.

bonaire actually has a golf course, it's on the East side over by Sorobon :wink:

Home

I sure didn't see it. I expect this went the way of the go-cart development. There is a Bonaire golf club north of Toronto tho ( very far north).

Back
Top Bottom