Bonaire wastewater problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sure didn't see it. I expect this went the way of the go-cart development. There is a Bonaire golf club north of Toronto tho ( very far north).

It's actually been there for quite some time, and they have a very active group of "members" that play regularly, and take it very serious. I've been invited by a member to play the course, but I don't think I could handle the heat...haha...it is a very "eco" friendly course as well:D

It's actually been there for quite some time, and they have a very active group of "members" that play regularly, and take it very serious. I've been invited by a member to play the course, but I don't think I could handle the heat...haha...it is a very "eco" friendly course as well:D

Actually the Bonaire Golf Course is called "Piedra So" and is actually located in an area called Washakiemba (sp?). It is actually out by Lagoen Hill Area on the East Side of the island.

Here is their website: Home

Liz

a good three months ago there was a reporter article about the portable waste water treater. the minister who beat up his wife was the one introducing it. are you going to hold your breath on how soon it will be working?
2014 for the big wastewater plant? ha! have you read the plans? antillians will have to sell their homes to pay for the hook-up.
dvrliz1 are you a bonhata member? did you get the letter from ramon of the marine park?
the one about all that water the hotels buy and how little gets pumped out. where does it go? did bonhata(bonaire hotel association) ever discuss this problem? hush,hush?
septic tank , hole in the ground, what do you call it? the water travels too quickly for there to be decent bacteria action. I'm not pulling this out of my hat, there are studies. it's bad.
if this wastewater the hotels produce is so healthy why does bonaire even need a treatment plant?
again,go to bonaire talk, environmental concerns. some smart people are talking there.
again, the problem is today, about bonaire, not LA.
the golf course isn't worth the gas to drive out there, but, if you turn left one turn early you will arrive at a neat little cove plenty of souvenir plastic bottles from venezuela or somewhere.
walk along the cliff to the waters' edge, bring a camera, there are some really neat rock formations.
water doc, have a good time under bonaire. ask around tell us what the response was.
liz, obviously if this information is on other web sites it's still not enough. i plan on being heard.
i did a lot of bonaire diving waaaay back. i dove every dive site possible. i saw one(1) example of coral bleaching, just one. how many now?
if you think the hotels are wrong, please write them. if think i'm a nut, write them about that too.
i have to go away to a far away place for a couple of weeks, no internet for bebo.

Geeze.....

Bebo, it seems you are not interested in working with others to come up with a solution or solutions, but you just enjoy complaining.

First, the article I am speaking of IS in this last issue of "Reporter" and I quote "It is likely that the Dutch Ministry of Transportation and Water will come up with the NAf, 2 million needed for the short term termporary water purification plant.". It goes on to say that State (Holland) Secretary Ank Bijleveld and MP Ineke van Ghent indicated this. The temporary plant will process the waste brought by tank trucks from shore side septic tanks tothe plant.

There are many inaccuracies to your statements above, or as I stated in my last post, you say only one sided things.

I will prepare a proper response WITH ALL THE FACTS over the next few weeks, so you will have access to the internet and will be able to respond.

Liz

The Florida Keys use septic systems and the state is making us upgrade to treatment plants.
This is a good thing but the residents are looking at footing a 20000 dollar charge.(started out at 4800)
I would imagine that the residents of Bonaire woud be all for a change in there waste disposal but not for 20000 dollars, if it costs the same as here

Thanks, H2O Doc ! well said. By the way Harbour Village Beach Club was the first hotel to implement Waste Treatment plant, actually since 1990. All the water consumed within the Resort is 100% capture, with the exception of the fresh water used in irrigation and the water used at the Dive shop and the Marina. The property is mined with a number of Sewage pits, where waste water is collected and pump to a 120M3 holding tank, from there it is pump to the waste treatment plant at controlled time intervals. The treated water (product) is then further chlorinated and the solids go to a sludge bed for drying the solids. So at least, there is a property doing waste treatment.. cheers

as i said in my very first post, i want to embarrass the hotels into being pro-active.public opinion should have some effect. even if the hotels have to pump out and have it deposited out at LVV it's better than direct deposit on the reef. the bonaire hotel association should have enough power to make things happen. you know that some hotels don't pump out at all. you also know that hotel managers have said; "it's not against the law".
i'm not criticizing without solutions, please don't confuse me with that sean guy who made the you-tube movies.
even LVVs pond system would work if they actually did it right.
a good 150 people are reading these posts without making comments. i hope they are thinking to themselves;" these people sure do stray from the main subject"
and my point is... a handful of hotels are destroying bonaires reefs. sin perguensa.
please write to them.

Not all the hotels are treating waste the same way. Some are having it carted away. If you really want folks to pay attention, give names with associated documentation in support of your claims. I basically agree with your point of view, but have not yet been able to find anything specific, document-wise, in further support. Give us some web links or post PDF copies of relevant documents.

Bebo

I agree with lmorin. We are having a roundtable discussion with the government, and I can ask (actually the temporary treatment plant is one topic of discussion). Please provide me a list of hotels that pump directly into the sea, along with supportive documentation so I can address this.

PS...You got back quickly.

ah, decided not to go away till the weekend.
you mean you went to bonaire talk, environmental concerns and didn't find anything?
call ramon the stinapa manager. he wrote to the hotels in august 2008. he added up how much water they buy and the water they pump. BIG difference.
round table with that government? ha!
diverliz, you are a diver on bonaire for 17 years and you feel the need to defend the hotels that are killing the reef? what's going on in your head?
I wanted people to look online for themselves and not just depend on me.
diverliz, i just don't understand your motivation.

Back
Top Bottom