Question Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
B

Barmin

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am wondering if May is a good time to snorkel in Bonaire? I have a flexible schedule but prefer less crowds. I know weather
is unpredictable and wonder if the swells for shoreline snorkeling is safe. Not sure what the winds are like in May.
Thanks,
Barmin

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread was moved from the Member's Picks forum. Please choose the appropriate forum for new threads.

Wife and I have been to Bonaire 12 times in 20 years. Two of those times were in May and on both of those trips it was hotter and a reverse wind that allowed us to have some great dives on the East side..

Maybe just a fluke..... just say'n.

I am wondering if May is a good time to snorkel in Bonaire? I have a flexible schedule but prefer less crowds. I know weather
is unpredictable and wonder if the swells for shoreline snorkeling is safe. Not sure what the winds are like in May.
Thanks,
Barmin
May and june are the windiest months in Bonaire. But the lee side, near shore, is always nice.
Here are some statistics, from WindGuru.
1651110662503.png

You are fine in may on the whole of the leeward side of the island. There are numerous sites along the shore line to choose from as well as the house reefs at the resorts. No crowds to worry about. Also, if you like snorkelling, Bonaire is one of the best places I can think of to learn to scuba dive if you are interested.

The only time I avoid Bonaire is rainy season,Oct and Nov.

I visited Bonaire in May of 2017 and the conditions were exceptional...warm (obviously), relatively calm and great vis. Diving was so incredibly easy...well marked dive sites and simple entries/exits. Obviously very popular with divers but we almost never encountered other divers at the dive sites (probably because there are so many options on the leeward side). Would absolutely go back around this time of year. Have fun!

You need to get "Open Heel" Fins and boots for Bonaire. Most sties are iron shore and will cutup your feet. But iron shore gives Bonaire great visibility near shore.

At the very least, some rugged adventure type sandals and some way to secure them to your self once floating.

Back
Top Bottom