Bonehead moves - $$ sacrifices to dive gods.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Though, I did find an ingenious tech who managed to fix it (new screen, new battery, new power controller)... though same tech has decided to steal the phone and not give it back... Thailand...

You lost me. The tech fixed it...so you got it back with the new parts? Then what happened...he snuck into your hotel room and swiped it off the nightstand while you were asleep or something?

I had another equipment loss due to a bonehead move, a post on this thread was similar and it brought it all back. I think I blocked it out..lol.

I was diving the USS Sandiego, a WW1 Battleship sunk by either a German Mine or a Torpedo (opinions vary on this). I was doing a shallow penetration, and had my SLC-6 Flashlight showing me the way..I turned to make my way back out, and let go of the flashlight (I keep it on a retractor). After a few minutes I went to grab it and couldn't find it! Turns out when I assembled my gear prior to the dive, I put the flashlight in the BCD pocket as usual but didn't clip it to the retractor. So when I dropped it..well, I dropped it. If I had left it on I might have had a chance at finding it. I did spend a few minutes looking but to no avail. I would imagine a lucky diver found it subsequently.

This is a good thread for learning from the mistakes of others.

Forget why, but I had my wallet out on the dive boat in Culebra, PR, and I must have stuck it into my BCD pocket while I was helping one of my kids. (Their first boat dive after earning OW, a lot to attend to for Dad).
About 30 min into the dive the DM swam up to me, opened what looked a lot like a wallet, looked from my face to the picture on the NYS driver's license, and handed my wallet to me!

The new screen that I ordered had half a dozen dead pixels on it, so it was sent back to Apple under warranty for a new screen. So dropped off the phone to get screen replaced and unfortunately had to return to bangkok, so he said he'd mail it to me. Never came... he claimed i gave him the wrong address, and that package was returned. Now he doesn't even answer his phone...

You lost me. The tech fixed it...so you got it back with the new parts? Then what happened...he snuck into your hotel room and swiped it off the nightstand while you were asleep or something?

I had another equipment loss due to a bonehead move, a post on this thread was similar and it brought it all back. I think I blocked it out..lol.

I was diving the USS Sandiego, a WW1 Battleship sunk by either a German Mine or a Torpedo (opinions vary on this). I was doing a shallow penetration, and had my SLC-6 Flashlight showing me the way..I turned to make my way back out, and let go of the flashlight (I keep it on a retractor). After a few minutes I went to grab it and couldn't find it! Turns out when I assembled my gear prior to the dive, I put the flashlight in the BCD pocket as usual but didn't clip it to the retractor. So when I dropped it..well, I dropped it. If I had left it on I might have had a chance at finding it. I did spend a few minutes looking but to no avail. I would imagine a lucky diver found it subsequently.

This is a good thread for learning from the mistakes of others.

About 30 min into the dive the DM swam up to me, opened what looked a lot like a wallet, looked from my face to the picture on the NYS driver's license, and handed my wallet to me!

When he handed you your license back, did he say "I'm going to let you off with a warning, but next time swim slower?"

When he handed you your license back, did he say "I'm going to let you off with a warning, but next time swim slower?"

@ 50 ft it was hard to make out his words, but not his laughter!!! Couldn't miss that even under water! :shakehead:

My only donation so far (and won't be the last if I don't replace all my Home Depot clips that keep breaking) is a lobster snare that I didn't have a bolt snap on. I thought I could get away with tucking in the BCD, but it did not last on my first long surface swim out. Everything has since been attached to me one way or another, as it should be.

I did buy another one which has recently been retried in favor of a tickle stick/net. At $40 a snare, I can live with that offering to the sea.

So i have to ask... When did you loose it?

We found on a few months back on Grouper Bend wich is not far from Boca... I spotted a white and green snare in the sand and swiftly swam to it, but not swiftly enough as a buddy grabber it a split second before I could.

Then when the dive was over the buddy who found it was on the ladder and accidently dropped it and i saw it go down but didnt follow it.

My third buddy on that dive went down to get it and brought it back to the boat....

If it is the same one it has had at least 4 owners in a months time....

Good choice on the tickle/net combo... its the onlyh way to gather... :eyebrow:

One day while working in St Maarten I had gone out one a mates' charter just to see how he ran the same sites our shop did... and I remember distinctly putting a crisp US20$ (to buy beers after the dive) folded once lengthwise and once widthwise into my velcro pocket. At 70' on the return to the boat I noticed than my pocket was open....

Needless to say the donation was made.

Fast forward 11 days

Before a dive on the same site (Busy dive site, 5 different operators use it... 20-100 divers per day), in my briefing I mentioned that if anyone finds 20$ on the site, I had lost one the week prior... . I did not mention HOW I folded the bill. After the dive, one of my regular guests (who tips very generously at the end of his week trip) comes up to me and shows me his find. Lo and behold it was a $20 folded exactly how I had folded it.

I had no aspirations of seeing it again, nor of the finder handing it back....

Many people could just say yeah right.... but my boatmate was with us and I when I lost it, I made a point of belly aching and reminiscing over how I had folded it and he recounted that before seeing the found bill....

co-incidence or providence?? considering the length of time and sheer number of divers on a busy park site.... Either way the guest gave it to me after getting to shore and teasing me about my habits with money so in the end the $$ found its rightful way to the barman and beers were consumed....

So i have to ask... When did you loose it?

We found on a few months back on Grouper Bend wich is not far from Boca... I spotted a white and green snare in the sand and swiftly swam to it, but not swiftly enough as a buddy grabber it a split second before I could.

Then when the dive was over the buddy who found it was on the ladder and accidently dropped it and i saw it go down but didnt follow it.

My third buddy on that dive went down to get it and brought it back to the boat....

If it is the same one it has had at least 4 owners in a months time....

Good choice on the tickle/net combo... its the onlyh way to gather... :eyebrow:

It was last year in Dania Beach. It was one of the green ones.

I agree that the net/tickle stick is the way to go.

/highjack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom