Bonne Terre Mine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schu1842

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking about taking a weekend trip to Bonne Terra Mine in Missouri this spring. Has anyone dove the mine and what do you think?

Search Search Search function.... I also posted many pictures....

There are a lot of infomration about Bonne Terre Mine.....

The water is about 52F, so be prepared for the cold water. It is quite expensive to do multiple dives. I had a shock in seeing where the small building is that you access the mine through, it is really.......small. There is a door way to the stairs and then as you desend the mine is really revealed and it is very large, big columns and a dock where you can put your gear on and dive from.
For me , I did that, now my desire to go back is zero. It certainly is something different. Maybe you'll love it, I like the reef and all the marine life that goes with it.

Not quite that cold. More like a chilly 58 F.

caymaniac:
The water is about 52F, so be prepared for the cold water. It is quite expensive to do multiple dives. I had a shock in seeing where the small building is that you access the mine through, it is really.......small. There is a door way to the stairs and then as you desend the mine is really revealed and it is very large, big columns and a dock where you can put your gear on and dive from.
For me , I did that, now my desire to go back is zero. It certainly is something different. Maybe you'll love it, I like the reef and all the marine life that goes with it.

the mine is not for peaple that like to pet fish, thats why i like it , dont have all the girlscouts to look out for. am making a trip this weekend

I can get a cheap flight to FLL and drift dive off Pompano for a weekend, for about the same price as it would cost me to drive south of St Louis to dive an old lead mine with tons of restrictive rules for two days. I don't get the alure of that place. If ocean dives and reefs and marine animals aren't your thing, you could fly to MCO or TPA and dive real caverns (or caves!) in N Fl for cheaper than the big spendy mine trip.

caymaniac:

COLD WATER!! Nay that would be 40 degree water. I second the search function.

dove there a few years ago, was worth doing once though i probably wouldnt do it again. (especially after taking my cave training!!!) Their divemasters really had no idea about cave safety and treated it more like an open water dive. I didn't like the fact that they didn't want us to carry back up lights, especially being an electrician and seeing how the lights in the cave were wired.(I snuck one). One electrical failure and the whole group would be in the dark with only the dive leader having a light. Like i said though it was fun to do one time.

I just dove there in Feb, the restrictions are not nearly what the reputation is. After the first dive on trail 1 you can take lights and cameras. If you want to do the real tec diving, ask for Bear and do the bear trails. Most of the other dive leaders do not even know the trails he goes on, he has over 10,000 dives there. It is expensive, but they were very accomodating. It is worth doing a couple of times, but if you want wildlife it is not for you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom