Bonne Terre Mine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Hopeitsapar,
Thanks for the update. I was hoping to dive there this month; but, got too busy at work and became undecided after some of the comments. You've revived my interest. Did you stay at the depot? Looks like it would be a neat place to stay.

No we stayed at the Super 8 which is about 5 minutes from the mine. Nothing special, though close to Imo's Pizza, the best I have ever had, and it provides a light breakfast. About $50 per night. I would stay there again when I go back

Been there many times. Any midwest diver owes themselves a trip to this place. Fantastic diving, professional tour guides, 100 ft plus visibility, kinda cold though so it is a good dive for the summer. If you can, take the scooter tour. Nothin like it!

I just dove there in Feb, the restrictions are not nearly what the reputation is. After the first dive on trail 1 you can take lights and cameras. If you want to do the real tec diving, ask for Bear and do the bear trails. Most of the other dive leaders do not even know the trails he goes on, he has over 10,000 dives there. It is expensive, but they were very accomodating. It is worth doing a couple of times, but if you want wildlife it is not for you

Were you allowed to use lights?? Or just have them for a emergency?

What folks have said are real. But when its 5 below in the midwest the mine is a good place to practice skills and stay sharp.

I just booked a trip yesterday and I'm really stoked about it! but coming from lake diving I like to have a light, I wonder why you cant take one? and can any one explain about how the diving works? I know you are guided but are they different each dive?

I'm pretty sure you can't have a light because the guide and safety divers use them to communicate with each other and a bunch of other lights might confuse the situation. But the place is really lit up anyway. The trails are different each dive. You have to complete each trail to be able to dive the next one. It really is like nothing else. Its not so much a cave dive as it is an underwater lake. The place is huge. You will never forget it, I guarantee you that. The vis will blow you away. Have a good time.

I just booked a trip yesterday and I'm really stoked about it! but coming from lake diving I like to have a light, I wonder why you cant take one? and can any one explain about how the diving works? I know you are guided but are they different each dive?

I think thier policy is no lights. If you read some of the other posts people are saying they took a light as a backup. Doesnt sound like you can use the light as you might want too. I recently dove the treasure hunt at the mine, and would of liked to have seen moore light. I don't know if they use moore light on the trails. Later this summer I'm going back. I hope they let me take my new :D IKELIGHT LED Dive Light that I won at the treasure hunt.:D

so part of the lake is open to the surface? Is their a map I could get a hold of so my group can better see what the trail's are like? I would have loved to make the treasure hunt!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom