Bonne Terre Mine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dean810

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Howdy, I'm a Chicago area diver that has just recently heard about the Bonne Terre Mine dive site. Thinking about a trip and would love some opinions about it. I imagine the water is cold, but I do dry suit, so not too worried about that. What should I expect there? Thanks!

Dean810:
Howdy, I'm a Chicago area diver that has just recently heard about the Bonne Terre Mine dive site. Thinking about a trip and would love some opinions about it. I imagine the water is cold, but I do dry suit, so not too worried about that. What should I expect there? Thanks!

Here's a couple threads on this board to get you started:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t68919-.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/t19671-.html

Also, the "official" website:

http://www.2dive.com/2dive.html

Dean810:

Hey Dean,

What part of town are you in? Our dive club is organizing a trip for February. (www.thetritons.com)

The water is a constant termperature year-round, ~58 degrees water, 62 degree air temp - very humid... I dove it in a 7mm wetsuit last year was fine - little chilly up topside being wet between dives - but not too bad. Be prepared for alot of hiking as you'll be making four round trips on the trek. Carry your gear down before the first dive, leave it there and hike it out after the last dive of the weekend. If you have decent air consumption don't upgrade for the 100cuft tanks as the dive is guided and they rarely last more than 45 minutes. Arrange for them to supply the weights as its a painfull burden hiking out an additional 20-30lbs of lead.

I dove it with a group of friends at the same time netmage was there... our group was advised to stay at the hotel 8 (it's just up the road not even 5 minutes away), rather than staying at the on site faculities. It will be a guided dive as netmage said the whole place is set up with approximately 14 trials and you have do dive them in order. On your second visit try to go with the same group that you went with the first time so you can continue with the next set of trails (this way you don't split your group or repeat the same set of dives again). The water temp is a constant 60 degrees F even at depth so you can do this dive in a 5/7 mm (I did it wet and was fine in a 5/7). You can do this dive dry but the dive profile is rather sawtoothed and buoyancy control may be a problem if you not used to a drysuit. I would also advise to have at least 25 to 30 dives under your belt before you dive there. This is basically cave diving and having more dive experience will help make you more comfortable here. Offically on this trip I logged dives 5, 6, 7 & 8 and I did get alittle nervous on while on dive trails 2 & 3.
Hope this helps
Tom

PS Where is the Chi-town area are you located?

Dean810:
What should I expect there?

Expect a long walk to the water, and expect to spend a lot of money. I just heard a rumor last night, I dont know if it is true ot not, that the prices are going to be going up next year. It is already expensive as h*ll to go there anyway. It is definitly an expereice to try, but unless you have the money dropping out of your pockets, I wouldnt make a habit out of that place.

Thanks! I'm in Lincolnwood, which is near Skokie. The Feb trip sounds promising. There is another group going in December that I know of, but that might be too early for me. I'll check out the web site!

netmage:
Hey Dean,

What part of town are you in? Our dive club is organizing a trip for February. (www.thetritons.com)

The water is a constant termperature year-round, ~58 degrees water, 62 degree air temp - very humid... I dove it in a 7mm wetsuit last year was fine - little chilly up topside being wet between dives - but not too bad. Be prepared for alot of hiking as you'll be making four round trips on the trek. Carry your gear down before the first dive, leave it there and hike it out after the last dive of the weekend. If you have decent air consumption don't upgrade for the 100cuft tanks as the dive is guided and they rarely last more than 45 minutes. Arrange for them to supply the weights as its a painfull burden hiking out an additional 20-30lbs of lead.

I have only done trails 1 and 2, but I wouldnt say this is cave or even cavern diving. At all times, as far as I could tell, we have direct access to the surface.

netmage:
Hey Dean,

Hey Tim,

I'll assume that the trip in Nov. that you mentioned a while back is off. Feb. sounds promising.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom