Border Crossing NY/Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapest

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in NY and boat out of Henderson Harbor, NY. I plan to cross into Canada for diving. Does anyone know Canada's requirements - laws, for entering Canadian waters for boating and diving?:eek:ldguy:

What is the worst that can happen??? We tell you you are a bad boy and don't do it again? To find out the reel answer, and not my opinion, I would go to http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/menu-e.html . Your answer should be in there somewhere or you could ask there.

Scubapest once bubbled...
I live in NY and boat out of Henderson Harbor, NY. I plan to cross into Canada for diving. Does anyone know Canada's requirements - laws, for entering Canadian waters for boating and diving?:eek:ldguy:
You can apply for a Canpass I don't think it will be much of a problem getting into Canada.
You might have a harder time getting back into your own country.

Foreign recreational vessels (vessels that are licensed or registered in a country other than Canada) need to comply with equipment requirements of the country in which the vessel is usually kept.

If you are not a resident of Canada and are using a recreational vessel licensed or registered in Canada, all of the required safety equipment must meet Canadian safety requirements.

The captain of a boat arriving in Canada must report to Canadian Customs or an immediately upon arrival. It is illegal to stop or anchor at park islands or Canadian dive sites before checking in. You must report in at designated stations, but, as a convenience, many marinas are elligible and have instructions posted by the docks with Toll-free phone numbers. Read a detailed scenario of entry into Canada from a U.S. Coast Guard official.

Have your boat license or registration information with you as well as the full names, citizenship, birth dates, and addresses of all persons on board when you talk to the customs agent. You should be prepared to wait for an inspector or to move your boat to another location if required. Be sure to keep all passengers on board until you have cleared entry procedures. Make an entry in your own ship's log (date, agent's name, location of entry, clearance number) for reference in any future disputes. You can phone Canadian Customs, part of Revenue Canada, toll free at 1-800-265-5633 24 hours a day.

If you are a CANPASS permit holder, you can report your estimated arrival time by calling 1-888-CANPASS (1-888-226-7277) up to four hours before arriving in Canada, and arrive at any approved marina or dock. Cost is $25 CAD annually.

Gananoque

Trident Yacht Club
Spencer's Riverfront Cottage
Houseboat Holidays
Clark's Bus & Marine Ltd.
Bay Street dock
Gananoque Municipal Marina
Customs House
Brennan Marine
Gananoque Inn
Gordon Marine
Thousand Island Motel
Gananoque Airport
Gananoque Seaplane Landing

Rockport

Customs Office
Caiger's Motel
Ed Huck Marina Ltc.
Andress Boat Works
Boathouse Tavern
& Restaurant

Mallorytown

T,I. Guild Marina Ltd.
Mallorytown Landing
Brown's Bay Prov. Park
Docker's Bar & Grill

The RCMP has 3, if not more, boats active in the St. Lawrence alone patrolling. Though they mostly are patrolling the areas covered by Parks Canada, they have federal jurisdiction regarding foreign marine traffic entering Canada.

A word to the Canadian's posting on this site. It is key for you to show some dignity and pride in your country. If a person asks a simple question about our policies, give them the answers and refrain from showing everyone your lack of patriotism and loyalty.

I am now off my soap box.

A word to the Canadian's posting on this site. It is key for you to show some dignity and pride in your country. If a person asks a simple question about our policies, give them the answers and refrain from showing everyone your lack of patriotism and loyalty.

Well said.

~SubMariner~
A Canuck in the Deep South

SneakyB'tard once bubbled...

I am now off my soap box.

No sense of Humor EH.
Good thing we have "3" RCMP boats looking out for us! The St Lawrence is only 500 miles long.

wetman once bubbled...
If you're not careful, we may send our military after you. But if you have anything more than a 40 on your boat, you should be able to outrun them...

steve

ROFL:D

This has been the best year for ice diving for several years. In 2002 there was no ice diving at all. This year we have certified over 50 new ice divers!
In the process and particularly lately we've heard more than a few complaints about the snow, the cold and the long winter. I suffer as much or more than anyone else from the downside of snow and cold but accept it as part of living in Ontario, Canada.
I have suggested to complainers that they should do the same - that is, accept winter as part of living in Canada or move somewhere else.

Perhaps that same suggestion should apply to other things we find irritating about living in Canada!

INHO, with all it's faults Canada is still the best place to live AND with all it's faults the USA is still the best neighbor to have!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom