Boston Area ScubaPro Repair Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neojava

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place in the greater Boston area to get regular repairs/maintenance done on ScubaPro gear? In particular someone who does the repairs in-house.

I am going through a rough repair right now. At the beginning of the summer I had my reg overhauled by a shop that outsourced their ScubaPro repairs. It took about 3 weeks.

The first time I took the overhauled reg into the water the second stage started leaking small amounts of air on the surface. Felt like the reg was on the verge of a free-flow. I took it back to them to fix the problem and I'm waiting another 3 weeks.

When I finally get the reg back I want to have it checked out by someplace that I can trust.

Thanks,
-Adam

where in the area do you live?

I've had the best experience with Northeast Scuba in Chelmsford, always pretty good turnaround and never had a post-repair problem so far (knock on wood.) MA Diving in Natick is ok but I've had some glitches and they sometimes take a while. Burlington Scuba was mostly ok when I used to go there but it's different people now so no idea.

I would recommend:
United Divers Inc.
59 Washington Street
Somerville, MA 02143

888.628.3483 (P)
617.666.0410 (P)
617.776.7986 (F)

http://www.uniteddivers.com/

I have never actually had regulator repair work done by them since I do my own repairs, but they are very knowledgeable, they have a well set up repair bench, and over all my impression of their work is very good.

Margaret is the owner and she is great. She has done wet suit alterations for me and you can't tell that it wasn't a factory modification.

If you go there say hi to Margaret for me.

Good luck.

I agree with Luis. The last overhaul on my SP Mk25/S600 was done at UD.

That being said, it might be worth it to learn to do some small repairs yourself. Likely you just need to tune the 2nd stage down a hair, which is a simple adjustment that takes less than 5 minutes.

Say hi to Margaret for me, too :)

Luis H:
I would recommend:
United Divers Inc.
59 Washington Street
Somerville, MA 02143

888.628.3483 (P)
617.666.0410 (P)
617.776.7986 (F)

http://www.uniteddivers.com/

I have never actually had regulator repair work done by them since I do my own repairs, but they are very knowledgeable, they have a well set up repair bench, and over all my impression of their work is very good.

Margaret is the owner and she is great. She has done wet suit alterations for me and you can't tell that it wasn't a factory modification.

If you go there say hi to Margaret for me.

Good luck.

UD are reliable for reg repairs. Margaret is skilled with the drysuit repairs.

I don't have experience with repairs at MassDiving or NorthEastScuba, but I've seen their benches and they both are well stocked with parts and tools. I'd be curious to hear if anyone has tried them.

PG Dive outsource repairs to either South Shore Divers or Divers Market depending on the brand. The turn around time is problematic when you are in a pinch.

East Coast divers are a ScubaPro dealer, so they too may be fixing these regs.

Second stage spring tension/lever height adjustments can often times be done at home with casual tools. First stage adjustments though often times need specialized tools and parts (adjustment washers, etc).

Thanks a lot for all the advice it sounds like the general consensus is that United is pretty good. Also since I live in Downtown Boston it has the bonus of not being too far away. When I make it there I'll be sure to say Hi to Margaret for everybody!

Tell Margaret "Robbie" said "hi" too! I worked at UD in the late 80's before hanging up my fins for law school. Margaret just outfitted me with a full setup that I plan on familiarizing myself with later tonight at the MIT pool where UD teaches and getting back into the water (after a 15 year hiatus) next weekend in Gloucester. Margaret and Jim Estabrook are model LDS operators who have earned a dedicated customer base. Without them Massachusetts diving would not be where it is today.

Duuude! This is some strong stuff you've got. Can I have a puff? :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom