Bottle question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not a dumb question at all, can you describe the bottles you have? or post a picture, the time line on coke bottles goes back to the 1890's with many variations, the highly collectable varieties are the straight sided type and earlier, rare colour variations are a factor as well. Dates on bottles don't necessarily mean the bottles were made at that time. Most dates on bottles are patent dates.

I would like to join in on this thread as well. I dont mean to be rude akdeepdiver, I was going to post a similar question as my son and I recovered an old Coca Coola bottle and an old Sprite bottle. We guess they were from the 1920's, we found them with a collection of milk bottles from a local diary known to have gone out of business in 1927.

Does anyone know of a resource for dating bottles?

Hi Jerseybeachdiver You may have a real treasure with the milk bottles, there are a lot of New Jersey milk bottle collectors out there. I would join the antique bottle forum where you will find local collectors in your area who are the real experts on these bottles. Bottle collectors usually specialize in bottles of their local area and do the research to determine all the details of these bottles and the dairy's that used them.

Antique Bottles Forum

Best of luck with your search

I would like to join in on this thread as well. I dont mean to be rude akdeepdiver, I was going to post a similar question as my son and I recovered an old Coca Coola bottle and an old Sprite bottle. We guess they were from the 1920's, we found them with a collection of milk bottles from a local diary known to have gone out of business in 1927.

You have a Sprite bottle form the 20's? Hang on, Sprite wasn't introduced until 1960. Common mistake tho. Many of us just take for granted that all of their drinks have been around forever. 7-up was produced in 1929 tho.

Here is a link that give some tips on dating the bottles.

Antique Coke Bottles

Thanks for the thread. I have what I think is an old Coke bottle that washed ashore during Hurricane Jean when I was in the Bahama's.

No old sprite bottles (in the US) from the 1920s. It appears that Sprite was introduced in the US about 1961.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(soft_drink)

Coke bottles have gone through several generations. The green glass "skirt" bottle received a patent in 1915 and again on Christmas Day, 1923, earning these bottles the name "Christmas Cokes." Thereafter, the year of manufacture can be read on the waist (narrow part) of the bottle. Look for a number and diamond <> then a two digit number, which represents the date. If you Google around you can learn more and in greater detail.

Steve

If it's got ANY kind of numbers on it, it's TOO new (wink).

Sorry for the confusion, the milk bottles were from a dairy known to have gone out of business in the 1920's while the Sprite and Pepsi bottles were found mixed in with the milk bottles they do not appear to be anywhere near as old, judging by the amount of growth and sediment on and in the bottles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom