What could this be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I recently dived the wreck of the Carnatic in Abu Nuhas in Egypt/Red Sea and I saw this structure near the engine room:
1701687332845.png

1701687362080.png

Our guides insisted that it was storage for wine bottles, but I can thing of several reasons this is highly unlikely.
For example this thing looked like one large piece (several meters long by few meters wide and maybe a meter or so deep) made of very strong material (it has survived almost intact all these years underwater) while the holes are very deep (how to get the bottles out of them?) and placed too far apart (a lot of wasted space/material/weight between holes). All this just to store bottles ??? Wooden crates, could do the same much easier/lighter/cheaper.

Does anybody else have a better idea what could this be??
Nothing really important. Just out of curiosity.

Thanks a lot

A hot, vibrating motor room hardly seems the place to store wine bottles.

It looks like a heat exchanger. It would be unusual nowadays to store one of those - even a spare - outside the engine room, but I wasn't around in 1860 so that might have been normal then.

The holes would be too large for a heat exchanger on a modern vessel, but it looks like the Carnatic was a steam ship, so having pipes wide enough for wine bottles wouldn't be totally unthinkable. I've crawled through heat exchanger pipes on working steam ships, and they're much bigger than on modern power-driven vessels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom