bought my first speargun today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a hurricane is coming my way. Had been looking fwd to spearing.

Someone recently sent me a website from a diver with diy single use PVC pipe powerhead. I have made similar with M16 and .357 magnum bullet and test fired. They are fired by the spearpoint. The site is here fyi. (a friend was recently scared by a pesky Bull shark that followed him all the way to the surface despite being stabbbed at with a pole spear point. )http://www.magnificentrelief.com/diy.htm

Are you Dr. Kinzelman? I am Dave Cartee (Dr. Cartee's son) and go to First Baptist Church. I didn't know you liked to spearfish? If you'd like to go sometimes, I am always looking for responsible dive buddies.

matthew kinzelman:
Looks like a hurricane is coming my way. Had been looking fwd to spearing.

Someone recently sent me a website from a diver with diy single use PVC pipe powerhead. I have made similar with M16 and .357 magnum bullet and test fired. They are fired by the spearpoint. The site is here fyi. (a friend was recently scared by a pesky Bull shark that followed him all the way to the surface despite being stabbbed at with a pole spear point. )http://www.magnificentrelief.com/diy.htm

Matthew,

Let me know when you are ready to visit Destin and we will hunt some fish.

---------------

JBL discussion: I use a Sawed-off Woody Magnum and a regular Woody Magnum. Using 5/8" bands on the Sawed-off, it took 2 years for the trigger mechanism to seize. If you are handy with a screwdriver and file, the trigger sear can be returned to normal. For the time being, I am using the stock bands on the Woody Magnum.

---------------

Powerhead discussion: Currently, my "one-time use" powerheads only fit certain speartips. My wife and I use different guns depending upon diving location, so I will have to build a number of different caliber powerheads, or attach a "bang-stick" to each of the guns.

Hello Mr Stone. I visited your web page and i'm amazed by you power head idea. Down here in Baja we have no access to power heads. But i really want to dive with one for safety reasons... Cold you please tell me how???

seaman:
Hello Mr Stone. I visited your web page and i'm amazed by you power head idea. Down here in Baja we have no access to power heads. But i really want to dive with one for safety reasons... Cold you please tell me how???

To Stone. I'd love to perforate fish with you send private email. MK

To seaman, I used polyethylene pipe same diameter as an M16 round that also perfectly fit a JBL thin spinner two barb tip. The steel is pressed out to a wider Bulb at the barbs and will provide a friction seal to the tube. This tube allows very little "slop" such that the tip of a tricut or rock point will contact the primer.

first, the bullet is inserted into the plastic tube with the help of a heat gun (use on the plastic tube to soften the tube, NOT the bullet). once cooled, there is no getting the bullet out without shooting.

the spear end of the tube is cut to custom length once the bullet is firmly within the tube.Make the spear point end just long enough to go onto the Bulb area so the point will just contact the primer and penetrate about 1/8 inch. I then cut away the excess plastic that would contact the barbs. A band saw works nicely for these cuts. 2 wings willl be left to squeeze onto the bulbous area of the point.

Outside the thinner plastic tube, I used a length of 1/2 pvc pipe over the bullet area centered in the middle with electrician's tape around the thin tube to provide a fricrtion fit to the larger tube. then, toothpick segments at the ends center the outer tube on the bullet tube. Hot melt glue over the cut off toothpick ends completes the power head.

before putting the bullet in the tube, seal the bullet to casing ,and seal the primer against seawater with a couple of coats of nail polish.

Also, i did a web search for limited use powerheads and someone makes an aluminum version that sells retail for $50-$60, can be found online for about $37 , can't remember where. Happy hunting and safe diving. :crafty:

regarding instructions for powerhead, I've been experimenting and will do a post later as I can do pictures of a newer model of disposable single use powerheads.

The models I used with 223 and 357 magnum this weekend perforated a 2X4 well. It used a piece of stock steel tube crimped on and behind the bullet and plastic tube to hold in place over the 2 diff sized spearpoints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom