Bouyancy Control Excercises?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

This is what I was taugh in photography for bouyancy.

The #1 method for improving bouyancy is LEARN TO BREATH PROPERLY. So many divers doesn't know how to breath correctly as they breath from the sholders and NOT the mid section.

Aside from that the best solution is to goto the shallow end of a pool (about 4'+ deep) with no exposure suit, lay on the bottom and relax as much as possible (with absoultey NO air in the bc at all). Then work on breathing techniques, before to long you'll find you do NOT raise as you inhale. Start taking weight off little by little untill you DO start to raise up with your inhalation. This is the best way I found to handle it. The keys here is a) breathing, b) breathing, c) breathing and d) relaxing.

A panic/stressed diver tends to hold more air in the lungs than a relaxed diver does. In a panic/stress situation they will be gasping for air and tends to float more than those who relaxes and has normal breathing patterns.

It may take 30 mins to get the person to relax completely but it's well worth the time. Couple of other things to then try is goto the deep end of the pool and get in the habit of doing mental imagery, i.e. think DOWN and you go down, think UP and you go up, think FLOAT and you float. Once they know how it's suppose to be done the rest just falls into place, they are more relaxed, they improve the gas consumption, the stress/anxiety level is lower and visual awareness is improved greatly.

Once the diver is in a state of relaxation he/she can do all the nifty things like hover in any position (some are harder than others) and the like. A good key point to make here is tucking all the loose things around the body so they don't hang loose or flap around, this will upset the breathing patterns and cause the diver to loose concentration.

Other things to persue along this line is autogenics (in the dive community it's called 'predive visualization)

Some will have the attitude of 'skills will come with practice' but in truth all it takes is understanding the principals and how to apply it. Traditionaly that was a trial and error (mostly error) but it doesn't have to be taught that way as it's lengthy, tends to promote/provoke undue and unnecessary panic/stress on the diver(s), leads to poor performance, degrades visual awareness and alot of people hang up the fins because they can't get it right.

Ed

Kate,

1) Have her do a weight check, you know the usual float at surface with little or no air in your BC.

2) Fin pivots, these are the best there is for learning to control air in your BC, a gentle upward and downward movement with each breath, not slamming the bottom or standing up. Get the fin pivots down and all rest will fall into place. IMHO this is the best "Peak Performance" skill you can master. And it doesn't cost anything!

Iguana Don ...... Iguanas have neutral buoyancy naturally

I just came back from a trip to Cozumel.
I too, float like a cork and use what most people consider to be allot of weight.
When I was on my 4th day of diving (10th dive in Cozumel), the day's DM decide said that I should remove weight. He took 4 pounds off my weight belt.

I was fine ***until I hit 1000 psi *** in my tank.
I couldn't stay down!

Around 1200 psi I noticed that I wasn't "sticking" where I wanted to be in the water column. At first I just relaxed and floated above the reef while everyone went through the coral outcrops. A fellow diver (new to the sport) was down to 700 psi and needed to start his ascent and safety stop. I paired up with him and started our ascent. When I hit 40 feet, I double checked to make sure I had **no** air in my BCD. I knew I was more bouyant than I usually am, but I relaxed and tried to remember to use my breathing to control. Everything was okay (but not great since I usually don't have to even think about being light) until I started my safety stop. At 1000 psi I could NOT stay down! I spent 2 worried minutes traying to keep down in the water column to do my safety and finally popped to the surface, 1 minute short of the minimum 3 min. safety stop!

I was luck that I had spent time stair-stepping up from the 82 feet (time at 60 feet, time at 40 feet etc.), and I didn't have DCS, but I can tell you that I went back up that 4 pounds in a hurry.

--Starfish

Gosh Starfish I am glad that you are OK, 4lb off? That seems like a lot to take off at one time, especially in warm water and with an AL80.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I hope that we can get out to do some fun skills dives this week.

I've been working on my bouyancy skills too since I have my new drysuit. This weekend I did two weight checks at 15fsw with 500psi. I've gone from wearing 30+ pounds of lead with a 7mm 2piece farmer john wetsuit to 24 pounds. I feel like a whole new diver!

-kate

Kate,
When I was learning to fly I read an article by an instructor in which he made an analogy between flying in chunks and flying in slivers. The jist of the article was that you would be a better pilot if you made sliver sized adjustments to the controls instead of chunk sized adjustments. I think the same applies to bouyancy control. Have your friend get in the habit of making very small adjustments to the air in the BC whether its putting air in or letting air out. When using breating to make bouyancy adjustments then breathe in a little extra compared to a regular breath and so on. Also have your friend focus on letting each adjustment have a chance to take effect before making another sliver of adjustment. Happy diving!!

I like the way you put that, jbd. That's exactly what I do... 'slivers' of adjustment....

:)

...hey, Pete... you're gonna get me in trouble with Gasman... One and only is HIS line! :p

*blush* but I appreciate it! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom