bouyancy control tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With hands clasped neatly out front, and depth gauge on wrist, who can really tell wherest thy camel's eyes doth wander...

A couple of weeks ago I got separated when the viz dropped to less than a foot really quick on us. So I excersized the predetermined plan on getting separated which was to look around for a bit and then surface. In this case it meant doing an ascent from 30-40' with no line or other divers as reference. Not a big deal, but a little tough to attempt on career dive #16. I tried to do it entirely by my computer and had a tough time keeping the ascent rate even. In retrospect I decided that next time I needed to do exactly what UP suggested and to watch the stuff in the water and stop staring at the computer so much. Next vertical ascent, I'm going to try to keep any divers and/or lines in my peripheral vision and try to gauge my ascent primarily off of the other stuff in the water column and see how it goes...

I also need to figure out how to ascend properly trimmed as well... The way we were taught in OW was to swim up with vertical trim while dumping...

Snowbear:
AD - I'm not clear on how an SPG helps determine depth, though?

:wink: Just checking to see if anyone was Really, Actually reading the posts. You win the prize :D

Of course it is the manual, depth gauge I'm referring to.

My initial response to UP's initial post was: "So?". I look at that stuff and my instruments and anything else that is around and assumed everyone else did too.

It wasn't until the "crap" post that I even decided to get involved. Since then the thread is starting to make us divers look like a bunch of single task folks who can't even look around in the water, let alone do more than one thing in close sequence.

Pilots have an instrument scan. Especially in single pilot airplanes the scan encompasses both instruments and the outside.

In the same way especially in limited visibility use the depth gauge, the computer, and the stuff in the water as tools to help the ascent. This idea of focusing on just one, to the exclusion of all the rest, just doesn't make any sense.

Use all the tools available to have a safe, enjoyable dive. That includes all phases of the dive, especially the ascent.

ArcticDiver:
My initial response to UP's initial post was: "So?". I look at that stuff and my instruments and anything else that is around and assumed everyone else did too.

It wasn't until the "crap" post that I even decided to get involved. Since then the thread is starting to make us divers look like a bunch of single task folks who can't even look around in the water, let alone do more than one thing in close sequence.

Pilots have an instrument scan. Especially in single pilot airplanes the scan encompasses both instruments and the outside.

In the same way especially in limited visibility use the depth gage, the computer, and the stuff in the water as tools to help the ascent. This idea of focusing on just one, to the exclusion of all the rest, just doesn't make any sense.

Use all the tools available to have a safe, enjoyable dive. That includes all phases of the dive, especially the ascent.

I believe the point wasn't to present the idea that divers are "single task folks", but that there are severals ways to skin a cat, and that some can be more fun than others simply by the challenge involved. If a person likes to do their safety stop on their back, checking their buoyancy and depth by counting one-onethousand, two-onethousand and watching how long it takes their bubbles to hit the surface, all while watching for flying fish, good for them!

Rick, you and I agree on the principal. But, after rereading the posts I gotta stand by the point that several took the Single Right Way tack. Hence, my post.

After our discussion, if anyone still wants to say their is only one right way; that is their loss, not ours.

Having been caught alone in weather that was dropping by the second, at 5000 feet in a twin engine equipped for ice conditions but barely able to keep up. With vis so low I could not see the tips of my wings and turbulence that pins loose items to the ceiling one second only to slam it to the deck the next. I can tell you that humans can indeed multitask to a great degree, and that instruments do work in saving lives. That goes for diving as well. I have a very hard time understanding the mindset of some divers that feel technology is bad. My depth gauge alerts me to a fast ascent just by raising my hand to my face. I find it difficult to believe some of you do not consider this to be an immediate and useful tool to controlling an ascent. I too use my eyes and scan my surroundings while on ascent, but cannot abandon what has been developed with technological advancements, just so I can say I do it the old fashioned way. I am not saying abandon the old fashioned ways either; they are still valid and useful. Rather the two should be used in concert with each other, one verifying the other. Multitasking is present in our lives regardless of what “sport” we venture into. The suggestion that if you utilize your depth gauge on ascent, it is to the exclusion of all other methods at hand, is pure folly.

This is off the original thread topic, but...

I'm glad to see some pilots chime in on the technology debate. Pilots use intruments to make it through IFR conditions; divers do too in low vis., just on the other side of the atmosphere.

I wonder how many pilots eschew the use of technology? Very few. A lot of divers do on this board... How many divers fly to a dive spot without reliance on instruments and COMPUTERS by the pilot?

Good thought UP, but I will not rely on a creature to let me know my depth. I trust my instruments and view them frequently while looking at cool stuff as I ascend or perform my sfaety stop.

I wonder how many OOA situations could have been averted had the diver heard the "beep . . . beep . . . beep" of a computer warning him or her that it was time to head to the surface . . . . ? Rhetorical observation, of course.

The Kracken:
I wonder how many OOA situations could have been averted had the diver heard the "beep . . . beep . . . beep" of a computer warning him or her that it was time to head to the surface . . . . ? Rhetorical observation, of course.

I hope none because I don't carry anything that beeps and by the time it does it's too late anyway.

Technology...

I don't think the point was to not use a depth gauge to know your depth.

I think the point was that a visual reference gave faster, easier used feedback that a digital readout.

From memory at least one of my computers samples onece a second but updates the display once every three seconds. By the time it tells you that you are moving or going too fast it's kind of late. Lots can happen in three seconds but a visual reference tells you immediately.

Being an engineer I'm not against technology but I spent 10 years shoeing horses full time and I could look at a horses foot and go home and hand make a shoe and it would fit. I didn't so much as use a ruler.

I'm also an avid archer and shoot a bow as apposed to a machine that launches arrows. Meaning that it's a stick and a string. No sights, weels or cables. We shoot some pretty small targets. Your brain is a better machine than you might give it credit for.

In diving your ears can tell you if you're moving up or down and there's often"stuff to look at. I hear lots of computers beep when I'm diving but I bet I can carry one and not have it beep which m,eans that I got it first. LOL

I ascend using visual references as much as possible. I use my bottom timer to tell me depth and to VERIFY my speed/depth.

At a stop I don't stare at the depth gauge. I know if I'm moving (usually). I check it periodically to verify my depth.

Actually flying is a good example. I'm not a pilot but I've done some flying and if you don't have a feel for it and just use the instruments by the time they tell you that your altitude is changing and you compensate it's almost too late and you over compensate. If you have a feel for it your altitude doesn't change as much in the first place. That's what I see divers do...beep beep beep...stop and maybe sink a little...beep beep beep...beep beep beep.

Ever try doing a coordinated turn while staring at the stupid ball. LOL The ball verifies what you should already know or it's too late cuz the tail isn't following the nose.

I think UP was just pointing out a tool that some divers might not think to use rather than suggesting that you throw away your depth gauges.

Back
Top Bottom