Boynton Beach wrecks no more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caruso

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're scheduled to dive next month in Boynton Beach for the first time and were hoping to dive some of the wrecks in the area. Dave from Splashdown Divers tells me that the only wreck they go to nowadays is the Castor because the rest are pretty beat up.

I read about 6 other wrecks that seemed to be good dives, perhaps some who are familiar with the area can weigh in on my list and let me and other potential Boynton Beach divers know what sort of dives they are nowadays.

Budweiser Bar: 169' Coasal Freighter upright in 95'.
Captain Tony: Sunk in 1996, sits upright in 85' of water.
Zion Train: 75-90' deep 164' long artificial reef rests upright on the bottom
Atlantis: Located north of the inlet in 85' of water and is spectacular!
Lofthus: Boynton's oldest and the only natural ship wreck. 223' long, it lies 15-20' just north of the Boynton inlet.
Colson's Barge. Broken barge lies north/south upright in 75' with a small rock reef slightly to the west. Wreckage has 8' - 10' relief on the north end with many holes in its top and sides

I read about 6 other wrecks that seemed to be good dives,

Budweiser Bar: 169' Coasal Freighter upright in 95'.
Captain Tony: Sunk in 1996, sits upright in 85' of water.
Zion Train: 75-90' deep 164' long artificial reef rests upright on the bottom
Atlantis: Located north of the inlet in 85' of water and is spectacular!
Lofthus: Boynton's oldest and the only natural ship wreck. 223' long, it lies 15-20' just north of the Boynton inlet.
Colson's Barge. Broken barge lies north/south upright in 75' with a small rock reef slightly to the west. Wreckage has 8' - 10' relief on the north end with many holes in its top and sides
You’re reading it from local shops websites that describes the local dive sites, isn’t it? Descriptions written 30 years ago.

The divable wrecks today are more concentrated in the Pompano/Ft Lauderdale area, but don’t do the same mistake, otherwise you will be wanting to dive 3X as many wrecks. Look at the boat schedule instead, look over a months schedule, that will give you a better idea of what is diveable today!

Hi @caruso

I dive in Boynton Beach pretty often. Given my choice, I would always dive the Castor over the Captain Tony or the Bud Bar. I have a few over 100 dives on the Castor, including this year. I will be in Boynton Beach later this week to dive the Castor for Goliath Grouper aggregation.

The Castor has been beaten up over the years but is still an outstanding dive, year round. The stern was knocked off to the starboard during Hurricane Sandy in 2012. The bow was knocked off to the starboard during Hurricane Matthew in 2016. Huuricane Irma did a little more damage, but nothing as profound.

I have not dived the Capt Tony since May 2017, don't know what Irma did to it, was generally intact before that

I have not dived the Bud Bar since 2016. I hear it was broken in half and somewhat separated by Irma.

You could probably get the best information by contacting the operators out of Boynton Harbor Marina, Underwater Explorers, Loggerhead, Starfish, and Splashdown. Perhaps other local divers will pipe up also.

You could probably get the best information by contacting the operators out of Boynton Harbor Marina, Underwater Explorers, Loggerhead, Starfish, and Splashdown.

The last one on your list, Splashdown is who told me they only dive the Castor because there's nothing left of the others.

Here is some recent information on the Lofthus. If you dive it from the beach, it means a 2 1/2 mile R/T walk north from the parking lot at Boynton Inlet as there is no longer public access from A1A to the beach there. I usually walk it or sometimes paddle an SUP down. I don't bother with tanks making the prospect easier. The local charter boats hit the spot rarely I understand. Dive Spot: The Wreck of the Lofthus - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

The last one on your list, Splashdown is who told me they only dive the Castor because there's nothing left of the others.
I dive with Underwater Explorers, Loggerhead and Starfish, I don't know Splashdown

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom