Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swimming, hiking, snorkeling are all good and she's not much into shopping. But overall, it sounds like GC would be a better choice, if we're traveling together. Thanks for the advice.

We're not much into shopping or tourist attractions either, but there is a lot to see and do on Grand Cayman. I've just posted a new thread with a lot of info about visiting Grand Cayman - for both divers and non-divers, see the link below.

Visiting Grand Cayman - Things to Do and See - Besides Diving!

Last edited:
Hi dberry -

Speaking as a non-diving spouse, I figured I would weigh in here: my husband and I are definitely biased in favor of Brac. Of course, so much depends on personal preference and it may or may not suit your needs. We vacationed on GC several times -- and loved it -- before finding the Brac. Now we are completely hooked on the Brac. While my hubby dives, I generally read a good book, do a bit of hiking or caving, check out the (very) small local shops, visit with local Brackers, see the small historical sites and the museum, and just enjoy the peace and quiet. I find that once I slow down to island time, there's enough to do. I also feel completely comfortable and safe on the Brac on my own while hubby is diving. We always stay at Brac Caribbean Beach Condos --which provides space to relax, maybe do some cooking, or just sit on the balcony and enjoy the ocean view. It is very close to both dive ops, the two-story dock in front of the condo complex is where Scuba Shack picks up divers and it's a three minute drive over to Reef Divers. Grand Cayman definitely offers many, many more choices and is a wonderful place to visit: some of GC can be very busy and touristy but other spots are pretty laid back. Why not do both, if you can? Just a quick hop on Cayman Airways from GC to Brac. Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Hi dberry -Speaking as a non-diving spouse, I figured I would weigh in here: my husband and I are definitely biased in favor of Brac...Grand Cayman definitely offers many, many more choices and is a wonderful place to visit: some of GC can be very busy and touristy but other spots are pretty laid back. Why not do both, if you can? Just a quick hop on Cayman Airways from GC to Brac. Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Just want to jump in to say that I have spoken with several non-diving partners on Cayman Brac that love visiting the island, so the idea of spending a few days on Brac after GC - to see how you like both islands is a great suggestion. Just keep in mind that the wait-to-fly after scuba rule does apply to the flight over to Brac and back, so include that when making travel plans. It would be great if you could do a 10-day trip that will give you a good opportunity to check out both islands. We are both divers but we like to spend 2 weeks, one on GC and one on either Brac or Little Cayman.

There is a very high-end and pricey resort on Brac called Le Soleil d'Or, I don't know what your budget is, but if you want to treat yourself to a few days of luxury - that looks like a good place for it!

We usually stay at the much more modest Cayman Brac Beach Resort. It's small, nice, clean and comfortable and they have some nice non-diving options. Free use of the bicycles, tennis court, small gym, free lending library, gorgeous infinity pool, free guest computer off the lobby, and the dining is buffet but consistently very good.

And they have a small spa onsite and the prices are quite reasonable. There is only one woman working there (she does it all!) but I always get a massage while I am there and it is a pleasant experience.

There are shaded hammocks on the beach but the ocean swimming is not good from the resort property, lots of turtle grass, rocks, and the boat traffic. And the TV reception is terrible at the resort (except in the bar) but we've always gotten good Wi-Fi everywhere on the property.

Every night at the resort they offer some activity around the bar like Trivia and Bingo night is a very popular event with guests, locals, and staff all joining in. On Friday night they have a barbecue around the pool that is excellent.

There is a beautiful nature preserve right across from the resort with tables and lookouts and there are many natural beauties on the island. The small Brac museum is certainly worth a visit, and you won't forget visiting Rebecca's Cave.

Others here on SB have said that there is good shore diving and snorkeling available on Brac and that you can rent tanks and weights from both of the dive shops. We enjoy the boat dives and valet services offered by Reef Divers, the onsite dive op at CBBR, but the Brac Scuba Shack also has a very good reputation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report and pics.

The Brac was my first post-cert trip in 1976 I think, showed up there with about 6 total dives. It was great.

We stayed at the long-defunct Buccaneers Inn - salt water showers. That should date me.

Your report has put the Brac back on my list...

The Brac was my first post-cert trip in 1976 ....Your report has put the Brac back on my list...

Hi GBF, Any photos to share from your trip in 1976? We didn't discover it until a few short years ago...would love to see any of your photos you might care to share. Glad to hear this thread has inspired you to get back there one of these days! :)

Hi GBF, Any photos to share from your trip in 1976? We didn't discover it until a few short years ago...would love to see any of your photos you might care to share. Glad to hear this thread has inspired you to get back there one of these days! :)

No photos, or at least none that survived. Sorry, wish I had some.

Our trip to GC and/or Brac will have to wait until summer 2018, but I'm going to book mark this thread for when we start planning. Thanks for all the tips and pointers.
-Don

Thank you very much for this informative trip report. We are going to Brac in early November and have made the same arrangements that you had. We are both divers however due to a very serious injury, my wife will not be able to dive but hopefully we can get her to snorkel. How often does the dive boat visit the Keith Tibbits? Would you consider that to be the marquis dive?

Thank you for a thorough trip report, and for all of the follow up information. This really helps us to plan future trips!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom