Bozeman diver drowns attempting vehicle recovery - Montana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I have to wonder about the value of a car that sunk over 100 feet last winter.

HELENA — Authorities say a 55-year-old man from Bozeman died at Canyon Ferry Lake over the weekend after an incident while scuba diving.

Lewis and Clark County Sheriff-Coroner Leo Dutton identified the man as William Dreyer.

It happened just before noon on Saturday, about a mile south of Cemetery Island.

“The investigation has thus far revealed that two divers were from Bozeman, and they were trying to raise up a vehicle that had been lost through the ice last winter,” Dutton said. “They were applying airbags when an equipment malfunction occurred, draining the tank of the diver that's now deceased.”

Dutton said two divers were trying to use air bags to raise a vehicle that fell through the ice during the winter. He said the other diver reported Dreyer suffered an equipment malfunction, draining his air tank. The diver attached a rope and began pulling Dreyer up. They eventually brought him to the surface and attempted to perform CPR, but they were not able to resuscitate him.

Montana Highway Patrol and Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks were the first to respond to the call.

Dutton said the area where they were diving was one of the deeper locations in the lake. He said they were at a depth of about 113 feet, and that a person needs to be certified to dive to that level. This incident is still under investigation.

“There’s a lot to investigate: equipment malfunctions, those type of things – properly maintained,” said Dutton.

Dreyer’s official cause and manner of death will be reported after an autopsy, scheduled for Tuesday.

“Our sympathies go to the family in Bozeman,” Dutton said.

I bet it’s a snowmobile and not a car.

I have to wonder about the value of a car that sunk over 100 feet last winter.

The last winter just ended a couple months ago in these parts.

Sounds like someone was filling an airbag off an inflate hose from the reg they were breathing from and the first stage froze causing a freeflow.

Sounds like someone was filling an airbag off an inflate hose from the reg they were breathing from and the first stage froze causing a freeflow.
I'm trying to wrap my head around the mindset of a diver who goes to 113' to pull up an entire vehicle, and does so without having a redundant breathing source, plus dedicated compressors/tanks for filling up lift bags...

I hope I am just missing some key info.

I still don't see much value in the wreck after being submerged, but if the diver had free time and skills with motors, I guess it might have been an appealing gamble.

Yeah, that's the assumption given in this article...
I'm trying to wrap my head around the mindset of a diver who goes to 113' to pull up an entire vehicle, and does so without having a redundant breathing source, plus dedicated compressors/tanks for filling up lift bags...

I hope I am just missing some key info.
I know, but overly courageous idiocy seems to be more common west of the Mississippi. I live in the colder part of Texas on the northern high plains and have saved hundreds of cattle from the winters here, but I marvel at what the outdoorsmen endure so close to Canada.

I still don't see much value in the wreck after being submerged, but if the diver had free time and skills with motors, I guess it might have been an appealing gamble.
The relevant government agencies that own the lake can get pretty pissy about getting cars and snowmobiles and whatnot out of them.

"Overly courageous idiocy seems to be more common west of the Mississippi."
I wouldn't wager much on that observation, idiocy is a universal trait, common throughout the world and pretty evenly distributed, from Dixie's "Hey y'all, watch this...", to NYC's "Youze guys gotta see...", idiots inhabit our society at every level. Sad way to end your life nonetheless.

The value lies in $1000s of dollars per hour of fines. EPA is actually pretty good about giving you some time to formulate a lift plan and hire somebody to recover it. Once you go over when you tell them it will be done, the fines start.
I have billed Chrysler's Jeep plant in Toledo a very hefty hourly wage to locate and recover a new jeep that went airborne and landed in the river. The fines they were facing made my rate a paltry sum if they couldn't get it handled by a set time.

If it is a crappy car and nobody knows about it, there are no fines. Once you report the loss or turn it into insurance, the clock starts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom