BP/Harness Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In selecting between AL and SS backplate one has to consider the weight. Is it considered bad practice to dive with a SS backplate if that means you have no user-releasable weights? I know a buoyant ascent is bad, but it always nice to have that option.

Ditchable weights are for the surface primarily, in the case of a panicked/exhausted diver who cannot stay afloat otherwise. There is almost no conceivable situation at depth in which you would want to ditch weights. There is a valid argument that quick release weight systems add risk, because if they fail and you inadvertently drop weights at depth, guess where you're headed? So, no, it's not "always nice" to have the option of a buoyant ascent. OTOH, there are many dive accidents and problems at the surface, hence PADI's insistence on ditchable weight. The choice is yours; I typically do my warm water diving with just a steel plate for ballast, and I really enjoy that.

You should choose the plate material based on your ballast needs and trim considerations given the exposure suit and tanks you will be diving with. Dive gear should really be chosen on it's performance while diving.....unfortunately it's too common that the sales pitch, dive shop appeal, and clever but useless features win out.

After I spent almost $700 on my Rig, I was in the Dive Shop next to my work. You can get something similar to Dive Rite Transpac, but with backplate. Matrix with heavier duty d-rings, weight pockets, nice shiny SS backplate, crotch strap, single tank cam bands and heavy duty wing for under $400. I think they are a luggage manufacturer.

After I spent almost $700 on my Rig, I was in the Dive Shop next to my work. You can get something similar to Dive Rite Transpac, but with backplate. Matrix with heavier duty d-rings, weight pockets, nice shiny SS backplate, crotch strap, single tank cam bands and heavy duty wing for under $400. I think they are a luggage manufacturer.

Not only that, the SS Backplate is made of 316 Marine grade SS. Not the typical 304. So that sort of caught my eye. Not sure how much of a difference it really makes, but I know 316 is a slightly higher grade SS.

If only I could find a place that sells them!

You may want to post on SCUBAToys there are alot of BP/wing users and they may have specific experience with the Matix system.

Hammerhead Scuba - Hammerhead II Backplate

I am told they need to be finished which would require a few hours of sanding and polishing with sandpaper and a Dremel tool. But if I had to do it over again I may go with them on the BP and harness due to cost. Dive Rite has a very well thought out, well engineered high quality product, but expensive. The Oxycheq Wing alone was just under $300, but it is probably the best on the market for single tank use and streamline. See SCUBAToys for 10% forum member discounts and gift certificates for posting.

I have an aluminum Hammerhead, it certainly required no more finishing than several higher dollar plates I have aquired. It is a great product for the money.

All divers should have ditchable weight or redundant bouyancy.

Ditching weight is a surface emergency procedure to establish positive bouyancy, no agency really ever promoted ditching weight underwater and ballooning to the surface. Certain aspects of drysuit and tech may have exceptions to ditchable weight where redundant bouyancy etc is provided for.

N

I have an aluminum Hammerhead, it certainly required no more finishing than several higher dollar plates I have acquired. It is a great product for the money.

All divers should have ditchable weight or redundant buoyancy.

Ditching weight is a surface emergency procedure to establish positive buoyancy, no agency really ever promoted ditching weight underwater and ballooning to the surface. Certain aspects of drysuit and tech may have exceptions to ditchable weight where redundant buoyancy etc is provided for.

N
The Dive Rite SS BP is a high quality product requiring no deburring or rounding of edges. I meant the Hammerhead STA not BP and have edited the prior post. I am also a freediver and carry my ditchable weight on an XS SCUBA pouch weight belt. Normally I would have to remove weight from my belt when switching from SCUBA to freediving. The extra weight of the SS BP, STA, etc. allows me to remove my Rig and freedive without any adjustments. For my purposes, Open Water Pacific Ocean Recreational Diving the ditchable weight is a safety factor for both SCUBA and freediving. We use Carter or Riffe CO2 floats for spearfishing, backup, OW safety.

The Dive Rite SS BP is a high quality product requiring no deburring or rounding of edges. I meant the Hammerhead STA not BP and have edited the prior post. I am also a freediver and carry my ditchable weight on an XS SCUBA pouch weight belt. Normally I would have to remove weight from my belt when switching from SCUBA to freediving. The extra weight of the SS BP, STA, etc. allows me to remove my Rig and freedive without any adjustments. For my purposes, Open Water Pacific Ocean Recreational Diving the ditchable weight is a safety factor for both SCUBA and freediving. We use Carter or Riffe CO2 floats for spearfishing, backup, OW safety.

I prefer the DiveRite single piece STA with the Hammerhead or others.

N

That answered a question.. I was wondering if it was possible to use a different STA with the Hammerhead. I think I would rather pay an extra 20 or so dollars to have a piece I didn't need to spend 2-3 hours polishing. Plus the STA seems _REALLY_ heavy at over 5 lbs! That is the heavyweight one though.

I am starting to think I may need to get both a SS and AL and mix and match. Luckily they aren't that expensive. I just have no idea which one is more versatile, better suited for what I will be doing.

Those CO2 floats... do you just attach them to your belt? Have a link of someplace that sells them? I really like the idea of having extra flotation. It just seems more safe. Something seems wrong about loading yourself up with steel and then jumping in the water. heh.

Most of BP-Wing-STA from different manufactures are interchangeable. I really like my Dive Rite STA. Just check with the dealer before to make sure everything will fit. Some people have to drill out a bottom hole on those BP's without a slot for the lower wing attachment. It took me about 3 hr to pull all the harness strapping to get the BP set-up. So if you are deciding on 2 BP you may need 2 harnesses. Wings and STA are easy to change. You do not need the STA if the BP already has slots for Tank straps.

Carter spear fishing float. These are known as popper floats for freediving spear fisherman. They are used for getting speared fish stuck in rocks to the surface. They can also be used as lift bags, a marker, signaling device, flotation, and fishing line float. These spear fishing floats are expensive ~$75 to $200 but versatile and compact. I carry it in a small bag on my BP on SCUBA and on my kayak or board when freediving.

Description
Spear Fishing Bouys Safety Sausage

Buy 25 lb Spear Fishing Floats or Buoys w/CO2 Inflation Cylinder from Scuba Necessities [CBFF-25/CO2] - $67.95

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom