BP/Harness Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The channel (Hammerhead) is somewhat deeper with slightly more bend. The DSS plate looks fine. As to the STA matching the plate, most have the same c/c spacing and many have a slotted lower hole. I definitly recommend the Diverite stainless STA with most plates.

N

Does the Hammerhead BP have a deeper channel than the Dive Rite BP?

yes it does.
edit. sorry Nem. did not mean to drop in on you.

1. Aren't the inflators always on the left?:confused:
Some times the elbo is located centered on the top arc of the wing rather than being off center to the left to facilitate exhaust.
Some people say this may interfere with a first stage or causing issues with a two hose reg. Don't know myself.

The channel (Hammerhead) is somewhat deeper with slightly more bend. The DSS plate looks fine. As to the STA matching the plate, most have the same c/c spacing and many have a slotted lower hole. I definitly recommend the Diverite stainless STA with most plates.

N

Not really really sure if the channel being deeper with more bend is good or not? I don't have enough experience...

What makes the Diverite STA so great? STA's seem so simple. For a warm water setup I am looking at this one: Oxycheq STA

As for harnesses... is there a reason to buy a harness? Or could I just buy all the pieces of a harness so I get exactly what I want. It doesn't seem like there is much to them other than webbing, a buckle and some D-rings. I don't know why I ask this, I will probably just buy a harness kit :)

Thanks,
Sam.

Not about the plate, but I have a Deep Outdoors doubles wing and I like it a lot. I had to swap out the corrugated hose on it, because it was ridiculously long, but otherwise, I like the wing. My husband has one, too.

Not really really sure if the channel being deeper with more bend is good or not? I don't have enough experience...

What makes the Diverite STA so great? STA's seem so simple. For a warm water setup I am looking at this one: Oxycheq STA

As for harnesses... is there a reason to buy a harness? Or could I just buy all the pieces of a harness so I get exactly what I want. It doesn't seem like there is much to them other than webbing, a buckle and some D-rings. I don't know why I ask this, I will probably just buy a harness kit :)

Thanks,
Sam.
You do not need to worry about an STA on the initial purchase because many BP's come with tank band slots. I just got one for added weight (cold water) and added stability (Tank/BP/Harness is one unit) for hiking down cliffs. Mine will work fine without an STA.

As for harness, yes you can make your own. There are many kits on the market. I have a Dive Rite Transplate harness. I am going to assume that the Hammerhead kit and DeepOutdoors is cheaper than you can buy in parts. You can always add padding later if needed.

I like the Diverite STA because it seems very generic, is well made and finished, not particularly heavy, can be cut and modified if need be (due to being fairly thin) and it just works good, a simple piece of bent stainless, nothing to it. To the extent there are other similar STAs they would be just as good. I just have this one and did have the Hammerhead and some other brand I forget. Of them I prefer the DiveRite.

Generally I would prefer a flatter plate for singles but the Hammerhead works fine for the money.

I prefer the off center hoses, not just because I use a double hose but I find the center type also just crowd everything up in that area with the first stage and hoses and all of that. In my opinion --and nothing more---I would prefer a center hose on a doubles wing and an off center hose on a singles wing (assuming single hose regs)--think about it, this has been my experience, all things being equal. This may not be a go or no go for most.

Just string your own simple harness webbing.

I don't like that Oxy STA because I cannot cut my extra upper slots in it so I can drop my tank to prevent head banging. It also looks like if I were to loop the upper camband under in lieu of the extra upper slots (I cannot cut -no metal there--lol) then the STA not being a full width might bend--just guessing about that. Other than that, it looks fine for folks who don't mind getting banged in the head. The upper slot is simply to high.

I dove the Mighty O this week and don't recall a single head bang and my trim was just snappy.
N

I don't like that Oxy STA because I cannot cut my extra upper slots in it so I can drop my tank to prevent head banging.

I dove the Mighty O this week and don't recall a single head bang and my trim was just snappy.
N

You don't need to do any surgery on your STA to prevent head banging Nemrod. Just stop listening to Metal underwater!

:bang:

Head banging!

:rocker:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom