BP/W and rescue class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if this applies to all divers with BP/wings but don't most people following the DIR concept wear a knife on the belt just to the left of buckle?

Just assisted on a rescue class a few weeks back. I was a "victim" and wear BP/Harness it took the students a few more minutes to figure out how to get it off but with the wing fully inflated I was about 1/2 way out of the water causing my webbing to be loose enough to tuck my hand through and then pull it out the other side. When debreifing we talked about the advantages of having a pair of EMT "crash" scisors and if it was a real emerg. they would just cut my harness away.

I found that if you pull the BP down from head toward feet by reaching under with left hand while supporting neck with right, the BP slides under diver length of body with no problem. I did not have to mess musch with the shoulders that way. First time I tried to pull his arms out of the harness, and it was too awkward to keep good control. The knife was not an issue...just pull the strap through...

Ken

2 out of 7 in my rescue class had Zeagle Rangers, only 2 had the crotch straps. It takes some time but you can get them off. My instructor said that it is alright to switch the hand that is holding the head while undoing everything.

kwesler:
I found that if you pull the BP down from head toward feet by reaching under with left hand while supporting neck with right, the BP slides under diver length of body with no problem. I did not have to mess musch with the shoulders that way. First time I tried to pull his arms out of the harness, and it was too awkward to keep good control. The knife was not an issue...just pull the strap through...

Ken

The idea with the knife was to cut the strap. After reading your post it seems as though this method was discussed either at the DIRF I went to or maybe on the boards somewhere. Sounds like a viable option for gear removal.

oh...sorry...now that I think about it, wouldn't it be tough to saw through the harness with the little knife we keep on our waist? Seems if cutting is the way to go, then shears is the choice...although that knife IS sharp...

Ken

I recently switched to shears, and if anybody had to rescue me, they could use my shears and cut off my harness. They cut through webbing like butter.

Although I'd be choked if someone did this in a rescue class cause my rig is finally all dialed in and adjusted.

jbd:
Not sure if this applies to all divers with BP/wings but don't most people following the DIR concept wear a knife on the belt just to the left of buckle?

The crotch strap does NOT go over the knife so its a non issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom