BP/W Build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am thinking of going with a Stainless Steel backplate since I dive with a 7/5 wetsuit plus hood and gloves. Thinking that with that I could cut down on some weight that I would have to wear. Are all the SS backplates the same weight or are there some variation in weights of them from company to company. From what I have found is that they are 6lbs.

Also are there any wing/back plate combos that do not work together, or do they all work universally with each other?

Most plates are about the same weight, although I think Halcyon has a heavier plate option and DSS has nifty bolt-on weight plates. I bet that not all plates/wings line up, but I do know that dive rite and oxycheq are interchangeable. The STA-friend-or-foe issue is an ongoing topic; it really comes down to personal preference. I like having the tank mounted closer to my back and I don't mind re-threading the cam bands for storage, so I don't use one.

You might have a look at caveadventurers.com, they usually have some good deals going on. Both oxycheq and dive rite wings and plates are fine, and reasonably priced. The DSS system is very well thought out and high quality, maybe a little more expensive. You buy that stuff directly from the manufacturer and customer service is excellent.

AGIR also make a heavy plate, 6mm 5.1kg.

---------- Post added March 25th, 2014 at 09:10 AM ----------

To add to Haloclines post, yes, ring Edd at CaveAdventurers, he gave me a very good deal on an Oxy wing. I know Oxy and DR plates play well, as do Scubapro plates and Oxy wings as do Hollis plates and Oxy wings. (Mach V standard and Extreme)

To add to Haloclines post, yes, ring Edd at CaveAdventurers, he gave me a very good deal on an Oxy wing. I know Oxy and DR plates play well, as do Scubapro plates and Oxy wings as do Hollis plates and Oxy wings. (Mach V standard and Extreme)

Oxycheq wings have longer than usual slots and can take almost any plate. HOG wings are the same. Hollis (at least the one I have) is more picky. As I mentioned a Hog plate will not work but an Apeks plate will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom