BP/W for starting out in Boston/New England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not be so quick to assume that black Friday is going to be the same as it has been or that the same items will be on sale. The single tank set is not going to be phased out either.

if it says it's on closeout, that usually means that SKU is going away. Hog won't be getting rid of the regulators, but that specific set might be getting phased out for something else, who knows.

I didn't quote prices for a reason, but they will be going on sale. Since that's on closeout, they might not get any cheaper

I happen to know for a fact that it is not going away. It is not going to be pushed as hard and it will only be available in din with the included accessories in a package price. But it is going to be a regularly stocked item. It is out now but more will be coming in November.

---------- Post added October 5th, 2014 at 09:23 PM ----------

I have been in regular contact with the guy running the show now and am even involved in designing some new stuff.

I'm with you too, I'm working with Jack as well, I never said Hog was discontinuing, only that DRiS was discontinuing thta specific SKU, which means that package is likely going away

how much lead do you wear? Can't answer the question without know that answer.

I dive right now with 16lbs and a 7mm wetsuit

After reading a bit more, I'm feeling like I should get the DSS. I don't mind spending money, especially when it's quality and will last a long time. It sounds like the DRIS is a bit more economy/may not last as long. Anyone have this package and opinions on it?

I think you will be very pleased with the DSS, NO NEED FOR AN STA, there is no tank instability what so ever. And the ability to take the wing off the backplate in about 2 seconds flat , makes it great for storage in your dive bag/box, cleaning, or swapping between a backplate for cold water, and a lighter one for warm water. I was a little worried about the standard harness, and I must say it is perfect, with both my 7mm and drysuit, super easy to don and doff

It is an economy package, but it doesn't mean it won't last quite a long time or that it isn't quality. If you abuse your gear, the DSS does have a thicker internal bladder, but aside from people pinching the bladder, I've never seen a bladder fail..... The DSS plates are a little bit nicer than the HOG plate that comes with the Trianta set, and if it was March and the Trianta was at it's normal price of $380, I'd say sure, the DSS is worth an extra $90. At the same time, it is currently on sale for $330, and I'm not sure the DSS is worth an extra $140.

Not sure why everyone is bashing STA's right now, or why you would be removing the wing regularly, but whatever. The DSS plate is a pound and a bit lighter than normal plates, so it is better for doubles since it isn't quite so heavy, the extra 1.3lbs does make a difference. Call Tobin up, see if you like him, if you value made in USA, DiveRite, OxyCheq, Halcyon, and Deep Sea Supply are your only real options for Made in USA wings. Oxycheq and Halcyon are in Florida and are $$$, DiveRite comes out of upstate New York, and DSS are made in California by a gun toting republican who is a rather opinionated, but very cool dude if you click with him.

It is an economy package, but it doesn't mean it won't last quite a long time or that it isn't quality. If you abuse your gear, the DSS does have a thicker internal bladder, but aside from people pinching the bladder, I've never seen a bladder fail..... The DSS plates are a little bit nicer than the HOG plate that comes with the Trianta set, and if it was March and the Trianta was at it's normal price of $380, I'd say sure, the DSS is worth an extra $90. At the same time, it is currently on sale for $330, and I'm not sure the DSS is worth an extra $140.

Not sure why everyone is bashing STA's right now, or why you would be removing the wing regularly, but whatever. The DSS plate is a pound and a bit lighter than normal plates, so it is better for doubles since it isn't quite so heavy, the extra 1.3lbs does make a difference. Call Tobin up, see if you like him, if you value made in USA, DiveRite, OxyCheq, Halcyon, and Deep Sea Supply are your only real options for Made in USA wings. Oxycheq and Halcyon are in Florida and are $$$, DiveRite comes out of upstate New York, and DSS are made in California by a gun toting republican who is a rather opinionated, but very cool dude if you click with him.

i could care care less about someone's politics, and I didn't neccasarily click with Tobin, I just took what he said, weighed it against other opinions, and my own beliefs, and also a friend who already dove his equipment, and determined his product was the highest quality at actually the best price. As for the STA, not bashing at all just think DSS has made it unnecessary (ie an extra expense) for a single tank setup, which fits my needs perfectly, with that said that might not fit everyone's need, and I'm good with that! :)

With the DRIS setup, is there a big difference the light monkey DIR (base), the HOG hogarthian (+$25), and the hollis solo harness (+40)?

Cold water diving, 7 mm suit... I would get a BC with more lift. Do you ever collect lobsters, crabs, scallops? Picking up things at depth will increase you need for lift.. 35 lbs or so would be what i would want.

Also, I absolutely hated the horseshoe shaped wing and like the donut much more..

i could care care less about someone's politics, and I didn't neccasarily click with Tobin, I just took what he said, weighed it against other opinions, and my own beliefs, and also a friend who already dove his equipment, and determined his product was the highest quality at actually the best price. As for the STA, not bashing at all just think DSS has made it unnecessary (ie an extra expense) for a single tank setup, which fits my needs perfectly, with that said that might not fit everyone's need, and I'm good with that! :)

matters to some with how outspoken he tends to be, but he is definitely one of the best at what he does.

They haven't been "necessary" for quite a while, but for a diver that is regularly swapping plates between rigs, it is nice to be able to leave the STA with wing and cam bands on the single tank and just swap the plate over.

No doesn't make much of a difference for harness. The Hollis harness gets you a few extra D-rings and shoulder pads, but for the other two, webbing is webbing. SS D-rings are D-rings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom