BP/W ? Golem or Oms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernShrinkage:
Anyone Dealt with Jacob at Golem gear left a cpl of messages still hasnt returned my calls thinking they may have been closed over the holidays ?

Same here; no phone callback or email response.:huh:

Would have been nice to have message 'closed for holiday' on Golem answering machine.

Love the new Golem gear!:)

I havent personally dealt with Jacob from golem gear, but I have seen numerous positive things said about him on the board. I would save the money and get either the golem or the oxycheq wing. I dive an oxycheq Mach V and love it. -Tom

I have dealt with Jakub a few times.. 3 or 4 times in email, and twice on the phone.. Was always a quick reply in email... and the phone calls I reached him.... so it could be because of the holidays.. he is on both thedecostop and rebreatherworld as username lof ... they both show him last online on December 26th..

I'll send him a PM on rebreatherworld linking to this thread =)

-best wishes,

Sorry guys,

We just got back from some travel. Will start responding to everyone shortly.

Thanks for your patience,
jakub

OK, following email from Jakub at Golemgear, I learned today that there are no instructions or manual that comes with my 55# Golem BP/W.

Here are instructional links that Jakub provided today:

http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/backplate_adjustment.html
http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/kit/harness_2.htm

For those divers considering the transition (or just addition) from jacket style BCD to bp/w: you will need to get extra hardware to mount your tanks; if you choose doubles, this will be $125-300 or so more. You will also have to purchase weight pockets (or wt. belt), and add additional pockets or attachment pouches to your wet suit or bp. It can be frustrating assembling the bp/w, and ScubaBoard is a great resource for getting help. The crotch D rig was difficult for me to figure, and took too much time with trial and error.

My Golem gear is great; I look forward to diving with dual 80 c.f. independent tanks, and enjoying the benefits of stainless steel backplate (less wt. in pockets).

The price at GolemGear is very good. Communication could have been better, and instructions or the web link reference should come with every bp/w. Tank band information and recommendations should be provided to purchaser.

After all, it is Life Support Equipment!

:D

BTW: I also plan to continue to use my Seaquest ProQD jacket BCD....It's great, and I do not find it 'clumsy', or 'tends to keep your feet down in the wrong swimming position', or excessive drag when swimming. Easy neutral maintenance, easy feet up swimming, integrated weights-easily ditchable, easy to don-doff if you use that right chest release button, quality material throughout; wasn't a 'kit' that I had to put together and essentially pay double the cost of the basic package bp/w to get a complete unit.

There are lots of companies that make wings. They all have different variations but they are basically the same. I would want to know if any of them had a local dealer to ask questions too first. If one wing is supported locally and the others are not I would probably lean towards that wing. Otherwise I would just see which one you liked the best. No one is really making a "bad" wing right now. I can think of a few with a little less quality than the others but it isn't any of the ones mentioned in this thread. I carry the agir, diverite, and OMS. I have had no complaints on any of them.

Brent

Back
Top Bottom