BP/W Question on interchangeability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what backplate doesn't have bolt holes?

I can tell you HOG (wing) and DSS (plate) will just barely line up when using Highland 2" cam bands (the ones that come apart). there is no room for any play.... Set the wing to the plate with the plastic bolts, no STA, and everything is rock solid.

I ran into an issue a couple of years back trying to use an Oxycheq doubles wing wing a Halcyon plate. The lower corners of the plate are bent back a little, and just happened to hit the zipper on the wing. The Oxycheq lower corners are flat, and the Halcyon Evolve has the zipper in a different spot.

Last edited:
what backplate doesn't have bolt holes?

Several years ago a person was selling something called a Jet Harness, that was a single-tank only rig with a perfectly flat plate. It had no bolt holes.

Shane, If you want to use an STA, almost anything will work for you. The spacing between the bolt holes is standardized. As another poster mentioned a STA is separate item which will bolt to the backplate. So if you like the transpac harness you can buy a Diverite plate and attach an Oxycheq STA if you want. Also as mentioned most wings do not require a single tank adapter.

Are most wings/tanks stable with a single tank set-up without an STA or any sort of roll control?

some wings are designed to be such, and others, no. You need to check the literature on each...

Shane the BP/W setup was originally designed for technical divers diving double tanks. The back plates had holes for mounting the doubles but no cut outs for cam bands. If you wanted to dive a single tank you used a single tank adapter. At that time most (if not all) wings were designed for doubles and tacoed badly when used with a single tank. Then about 7-8 years ago specially designed single-tank wings started to appear, most still required an STA. As the BP/W made the transition from technical to recreational divers the plates and wings became designed for single tank. DSS, Golem, Oxycheq, and Hog all make wings with built-in roll control that do not require a STA. The only wing I can think of that still requires an STA is Halcyon. I am not sure about Dive Rite and some of the others. The tank is stable using either method. Why do you want to mix and match plates and wings?

Why do you want to mix and match plates and wings?

Well, when you buy used as I usually do, it's not always easy to keep everything the same brand. I'm just shopping around right now trying to pick up a single wing, double wing, BP, and Harness. Maybe I should ask the question here if anyone has had a negative experience buying a used wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom