BP/W questions from the green one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fact that the shoulder straps are angled unevenly when you thread them straight is NOT an issue. As nice as Tobin's plates are, the 'normal' ones have been in use for far longer than his and this has never seemed to be an issue.

I mean, you get guys hiking across land wearing huge-ass double tank setups weighing close to half their bodyweight and they were fine so I doubt that the uneven loading on the straps played a part.

Rig up your harness so that the shoulder straps are straight, forget about the uneveness and just go diving. :D

P.S. Congrats on getting your rig set up. I didn't say so earlier but I'm happy that everything arrived and you did such a great job prepping the plate. :)

Last edited:
OK, I'll give a try for strait straps. We'll see how it goes.. Thanks everyone for helping.

The fact that the shoulder straps are angled unevenly when you thread them straight is NOT an issue.

I agree. The webbing will relax a bit over time. Any diver should rejoice that they dive enough to wear out a harness. Even then replacement webbing is inexpensive and an easy DIY job to install.

Tobin

Yes! Finally I managed to dive new rig yesterday! I just went to the LDS which I usually dive with and asked them if they can help me with weight/trim/etc. They offered me the standard boat trip to the local reef. General impression is very good. It looks much more streamlined, you do not have to drag half of the gulf in order to move yourself a little.
I was using the weight belt with 8 pockets and i put 8 weights (3 lb each) into it and I was feeling like overweight. I mean I had to adjust buoyancy a lot more often than what I expected. However, it was a lot easier to go up without ascending too fast. I will try to put one less weight next time.
Now, the next question:)
I was initially trying to put the weight belt over the crotch strap and failed to do so:) It looks like the place where the crotch strap connected to the BP is a problem. Could not do it properly. Another issue is the wing itself if pretty long and it gets in the way of the weight belt. Putting it under the crotch strap seems to be much better setup and it is much easier to perform. However, I assume it should be more difficult to drop the belt if need be. Is it a problem at all?

Another thing that I would like to ask: my wing has some kind of padded flaps which seem to help holding the tank in STA-less configuration. For me these are getting in between BP and STA and they make kind of difficult to tighten the screws. Anybody tried to remove these pads? And how to do so?

It looks much more streamlined, you do not have to drag half of the gulf in order to move yourself a little.
I was using the weight belt with 8 pockets and i put 8 weights (3 lb each) into it and I was feeling like overweight. I mean I had to adjust buoyancy a lot more often than what I expected. However, it was a lot easier to go up without ascending too fast. I will try to put one less weight next time.

You have a plate and harness that is 7 lbs negative, + some sort of STA, good for another ~5 lbs. + a regulator that's about -2 lbs + another 24 lbs of lead.

Wow!

That's potentially 38 lbs of ballast. For diving in the Gulf. Removing 3 lbs is only a small start.

You need to do a careful weight check. I would not be surprised if you could do with much less weight. A SS plate and harness, + STA + Reg (~-14 lbs) is more than enough to offset the buoyancy of an al80 tank (~+4 empty) and many 5mm wetsuits.

Tobin

Serge:
I would not recommend removing the pads. What kind of STA are using? The only one I know of which may have issues with the pads is the HammerHead STA.

(does sound like you are overweighted)

You have a plate and harness that is 7 lbs negative, + some sort of STA, good for another ~5 lbs. + a regulator that's about -2 lbs + another 24 lbs of lead.

Wow!

That's potentially 38 lbs of ballast. For diving in the Gulf. Removing 3 lbs is only a small start.

You need to do a careful weight check. I would not be surprised if you could do with much less weight. A SS plate and harness, + STA + Reg (~-14 lbs) is more than enough to offset the buoyancy of an al80 tank (~+4 empty) and many 5mm wetsuits.

Tobin

Yes Tobin, it is only the start of the weight reduction process:) I said I felt overweighted:) So next time I will try less lead on my weight belt. I am going to do more checks in two weeks time. Interestingly enough, I did not feel that famous instability on the surface which people talk about all the time. You know that face-in-the-water stuff. And I already removed 9 pounds off my weight belt which is good stuff.

Serge:
I would not recommend removing the pads. What kind of STA are using? The only one I know of which may have issues with the pads is the HammerHead STA.

Yes I have Hammerhead STA.

Interestingly enough, I did not feel that famous instability on the surface which people talk about all the time. You know that face-in-the-water stuff.

Most people who "talk" about this myth have never experienced it either.....

Tobin

Most people who "talk" about this myth have never experienced it either.....

I see what you mean. it looks more like folklore rather than reality. And another strange thing is that I was under impression that BP/W supposed to hold you deeper than standard BCD on the surface but I tried to swim with snorkel and found it pretty much the same. BTW, I know your attitude towards (or against) the snorkel but here it is mandatory to have one when diving. So found no difference in depth. What is the difference, however, is that with conventional BCD on the surface the tank is moving everywhere around your back and it makes your life difficult. BP/W completely removes this problem for me which is another good thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom