BP/W Setup Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba393

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be diving singles for now (with a pony bottle), but will probably switch to doubles in the future.

Anyone have any advice on purchasing new BP/W setup. I'm looking at OMS, Diverite, Hollis. All seem to have harnesses that range from simple "bare-bones" to "comfort" style; wings that are banded and unbanded and what size would i need for a single tank with pony bottle; backplates that are SS vs. Al, etc. Many choices, I'm wondering is simple is better.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

I'd suggest the simpler the better.

If you go crazy and spend a few hundred on just the harness and happen to get stuck in a wreck or entangled to the point you need to cut yourself out of the harness, you're probably gonna be upset about cutting into such an expensive harness. If wrecks are the thing you're gonna do.

As for which type of plate to get, that's gonna depend on the type of diving you're doing. I use a SS plate for my singles setup which allows me to drop lead from my weight belt as the plate is 6lbs negative. However, on my doubles setup, I use an AL plate because I have plenty of negative weight in the tanks already. I use an AL plate with AL tanks in warm water diving. So as you can see, it really depends on the type of diving you are gonna do.

Wings are definitely another variable that will be best answered by the type of diving you're doing. I use a 32lb HOG wing for my singles, which is more than enough to float my steel 100 tank and a 40 cuft stage bottle or my 19cuft pony bottle, at the surface.

Additionally, unless you need the backpad, my opinion is that it's useless and only adds to the amount of lead you need to offset its buoyancy. If you're wearing a wetsuit, then there's plenty of 'padding' between your body and the plate. I don't have any issues with mine digging into me through the neoprene, ever. It's even fine for me in just a rash guard.

Hope this helps you on your journey. Happy & safe diving to you.

Start simple and cheap - upgrade if and when you need to.

The majority of the benefits provided by a BP&W stem from it's simplicity. Don't be tempted to turn it into a mock poodle jacket, just because that is a familiar system for you.

BP&W systems are modular and easy to upgrade. You can inter-change between most brands also (the exception being some of the complex harnesses).

Doubles wings are not at all optimal with a single tank. Don't be mislead by marketing that claims they are.

Simple harnesses tend to fill most divers criteria. Start with a basic webbing harness add to that only if you have to. Seek skills based solutions before you throw extra money at the rig.

Doubles wings are not at all optimal with a single tank. Don't be mislead by marketing that claims they are.

Not to Hijack this thread, but can a singles wing (lets say around 40lbs.) be used for diving doubles or does it specifically require a doubles wing?

I don't have any immediate future plans to dive doubles, just curious.

Nope. The central panel will be too small (width) to accomodate twin cylinders.

A double wing can be used for singles.. but the central panel will be too wide for a single cylinder, which leads to an exagerated 'taco' effect (where the wings wrap up around the tank).

That can lead to difficulties with air migration in the wing, reduce streamlining and cause more likelihood of snagging if you were diving in a confined environment (wreck/cave).

Having bungees on the wing can help reduce the taco effect, but can cause additional problems (still with air migration...and also the DIR belief that a bungee wing is more of a liability should a puncture occur).

Each time this question comes up, the overwhelming consensus is that the simple harness works just fine and sometimes better. There ARE a few folks who disagree, but you waste less money starting simple and converting to something more complex (throwing away something cheap) than you do going the other way (and discarding something expensive). And the consensus suggests that, if you start simple, you probably won't have to buy twice.

You don't give any information about where are diving, but it's important to match plate material and wing size with the type of diving, exposure protection, and tank type you are using. Don't fall into the trap of trying to buy a single wing that will work for your current rig AND your future rigs. You'll only be unhappy with the performance of it in at least one setting, and quite possibly in both. If you are moving to doubles and possibly staged decompression diving, the cost of an additional wing will be lost in the noise of the overall costs. (I can pick up a used doubles wing for about the cost of three helium fills . . . )

I feel kind of silly saying "I agree with TSandM," since she's a thousand times more experienced than I am, but since I know it's always nice to get a range of responses, I'll pipe in with my (very minimal) experience.

I have the bare bones harness and I really like it. Very comfortable for me, even with only a dive skin underneath it.

I also did take a look at the diving I had planned in the near future, and bought the right setup for that, and not for all possible future dives. It is so tempting to think "Well, if I buy smart now, I can avoid duplicating in future." And to a certain extent that is true, but then again... maybe not. I think you can avoid buying something that is just wrong or uncomfortable and that you have to sell or replace entirely; but on the other hand, I don't think you can buy a rig that will mean you don't have to buy other things in future -- unless you only do one kind of diving.

For example, in my case I maximized what I got for Keys diving, which is what I saw myself doing the most of right away. I got a small steel backplate (small because it fit me), a basic harness, and a small wing (which is all I needed for no or minimal exposure suit, and typical aluminum tanks or maybe some not-too-negative steels). The small wing is a pleasure to use, easy to pack, and ... just nice.

On the other hand, there are setups that I might use - even in the Keys - where a larger wing or lighter plate might be called for. For example, an HP80 is 13# negative when full, the plate is 3.8# negative, my regs maybe 1.5#, say maybe 1# for miscellaneous D-rings and etc. That's over 20# of weight that is not coming off the rig, so it's a bit tight for a 17# or 18# wing (I carry my other weight on a weight belt). I think my choices for such a set-up would be to get a lighter plate (aluminum or composite), or a larger wing. Note that I'm just beginning to explore this (as I only just did a few deeper dives which called for different tanks, etc.), so please don't take what I'm saying as gospel (erm... I'm sure other people will chime in if I'm wrong :wink: )

At any rate, what I was trying to say is that, as TSandM said, you should make some of the component choices based on your specific diving: Tank buoyancy characteristics (rig should be able to float itself at surface), weight needed to offset exposure suit (hence wing needed to compensate), etc.

Also, if you are going to fly and have baggage weight issues, you might choose a lighter plate and then use more weight that you pick up at your destination.

I actually went through a couple of different wings, an STA vs. no STA, etc. in just the first little while I had my rig (just trying things out); but usually these components seem easy to sell if they are in good shape, so my thinking is that I will figure out what works best for me and then sell any excess (of course after eliminating as many possibilities as I can before buying).

Blue Sparkle

PS: Oh, I meant to add: As far as choosing between brands, well, I think it somewhat depends on what type of person you are. On the one hand, for example, a plate is a plate is a plate. On the other hand... well, I'm a detail person, so I looked at various plates and saw all kinds of little differences, and chose based on that. Others might not notice or care, and of course they do all do the same basic job in the end.

Last edited:
If you haven't done so yet, contact a dealer for the equipment you wish to purchase. Tell them what you want to spend and how you want to use it. Then ask any questions you may have pertaining to their products.
They should respond in time with good advice.

I recently bought my BP/W system from Edd at Cave Adventures. I typed up about fifteen questions and he answered them individually within 24 hours. He saved me money when I was willing to spend more on specific items. Then he gave me an awesome "package price". When they say they will not be undersold, they mean it.
I will do business with them in the future.

Good luck,
D

If you haven't done so yet, contact a dealer for the equipment you wish to purchase. Tell them what you want to spend and how you want to use it. Then ask any questions you may have pertaining to their products.
They should respond in time with good advice.

Failing that, contact Tobin (cool_hardware52) here on Scubaboard. He's the owner of Deep Sea Supply (DSS), a very well regarded wing manufacturer. From what I've seen, he spares no effort to help counsel and advise divers on their specific BP&W requirements. Top guy!

I second the Tobin-DSS recommendation! I dive a DSS SS BP and Torus 26# wing...excellent all around setup. Their products are great quality, and Tobin stands behind what he makes. Recently I purchased a 17# Tropical Travel Wing which was used. Got a great price on it but it had a leak around the inflator hose elbow where it penetrated the wing. Sent it to DSS after talking to them on the phone. They repaired it....FREE OF CHARGE...and had it on its way back to me in just a few days. Keep in mind that this wing was way out of warranty and used to boot. Awesome customer service and great gear means I'll be going back...if my stuff EVER wears out! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom