bp/w surface bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ecumali

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just purchased oms harness and wings, despite all advantages, I have realized that when inflated on surface it does not keep my head up. So in an emergency situation an unconscious diver won't be able to breathe on surface. Is there a way to overcome this or are there any wing designs that would somehow support the head?

Last edited:
If you are unconscious you are likely going to end up with your face in the water with any form of bc. Bcs are not life jackets.

You are probably over-inflating the wing. Inflate it just enough to be bouyant and you should be fine. I've never had a BP/W push me face first in the water. Are you diving AL or steel tanks? Any tank that is positive when empty (AL80, AL100, Some Faber steels) will tend to push you face down at the surface as well, whereas a negatively bouyant steel usually will not. Just something else to consider.

I just purchased oms bp and wings, despite all advantages, I have realized that when inflated on surface it does not keep my head up. So in an emergency situation an unconscious diver won't be able to breathe on surface.
I here is a link with definitions of the various types of PFDs. As someone else stated, no BC is a PFD. Check the labels, they all specifically point this out right on the BC itself.

How much lift is in that wing? How much weight in your weight belt is toward the front of you vs. how much is at your side (or against your back)?

It might help if you add a couple of pounds to your back or maybe you can try moving the tank down a little to change your balance. How was you positioning underwater?

The reason I started the thread is - I thought the jacket style bd's with bladders extending on the sides as well as over shoulders will keep the diver's face up on surface. Maybe I'm wrong, however I'm aware that bcs are not pfds.

I'm diving with 80 AL, 5x2=10lbs on the sides and 1x2=2 lbs on the back (tank strap), total 12 lbs. with a 7mm fullsuit on fresh water, (oms IQ pack - no backplate and 32 lb bladder - BC116-32R)

The AL tank and 10lbs on your waist is going to exagerate the issue. I would try to shift more of the weight to your back (lower cam band or rear trim pockets). That might help. Conversely, you could dive steel and ditch the majority of that weight altogether.

I just purchased oms harness and wings, despite all advantages, I have realized that when inflated on surface it does not keep my head up. So in an emergency situation an unconscious diver won't be able to breathe on surface. Is there a way to overcome this or are there any wing designs that would somehow support the head?

First, the most important piece of gear you select already takes care of this....and of course, that is your dive buddy. If you pick a lousy dive buddy, you are starting out with a big problem.

But as to the solution you are looking for, Halcyon came up with a weighting system in 2000, that had a formed weight of about 6 pounds, that strapped on to the scuba tank, and created a quite reliable face up response to a diver surfacing unconscious, with an inflated wing. I checked just now, and the formed weigh is replaced by a pouch weigh..see Halcyon: MC Weighting Systems

I see several others have given good answers.. but to sum up...

Yup that can be a problem.. and yes it is correctable..

I fixed the issue by putting weight pouches on my tank bands... and with an al80, putting a total of four pounds (2 - 2 lb weights). The advantage of doing this is:

1. Cost...the small pouches are cheap.

2. It allow you to adjust their location for balance. You just slide them forward or back to change the balance point, then lock down the band.

But I found that steel tanks don't have this issue, so whenever possible, I dive steel (I now own 6 of them)

I am not sure if some people don't have this issue.. or don't notice it or don't care... has always puzzled me.

However, you point is very well taken... if you buddy has to spend all their energy just holding you up... they are not going to be much help.

Note: Mine was so bad that just being pushed back would not work, you would have had to hold me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom