bp/w surface bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unconcious or injured, none of them will float you face up with a clear airway. An unconcious person would not be able to adjust the air in the wing or BC, lean back or kick or arch their backs or anything, they would hang limply. In that case, the only BC that might--might--hold the face up and back and with a clear airway is a horsecollar type and even then I would not count on it since they are not rated by the CG to do so. BCs are not designed to float unconcious divers in a breathing position. Any beliefs to the contrary can quickly be demonstrated as false by a pool demonstration, hop in decked out and close your eyes, stop moving and hang. Wings in particular are inherently unstable for surface flotation, they tend to roll face down.

In the 70s and even early 80s I more than once was told I could not dive my wing/plate because it was not PadI approved and would float me face down. Well, we see were that went. A BC is not a life jacket. N

One other note.. a Fenzy will hold anyone's face out of the water. More than any other vest... it's 70+ lbs of lift and ring design/crotch strap always worked.

Is this issue common with all Bp/w setups? I am getting ready to purchase a new rig. I currently am using a Zeagle Ranger LTD and as long as I don't fill the bladder all the way it keeps my head above the water.

Is this issue common with all Bp/w setups? I am getting ready to purchase a new rig. I currently am using a Zeagle Ranger LTD and as long as I don't fill the bladder all the way it keeps my head above the water.

I think you are confusing unconcious with concious. It is not a problem, just a characteristic unless you are unconcious. Since BCs are not life jackets and not certified as such and as mentioned perhaps only the Fenzy might pass the requirments, what are you asking?

No, a wing will not float an unconcious diver face up with a clear airway. No BC (wing or otherwise) manufactured has been required to do so and that is why they are not Coast Guard Approved Type I, II, III, IV.

Most, if not all types of BCs made today would fail the testing required for approval and are unlikely to reliably float an UNCONCIOUS diver face up--including all wings.

Example, when I take my kayak out I must have a Coast Guard approved floatation device onboard and my BC does NOT meet that requirment or serve that purpose.

The primary and possibly only purpose of a BC is to compensate for bouyancy changes with air depletion and suit compression with depth.

N

I like this discussion about PFDs vs BCs. Years ago some of us were under the assumption that BCs and mae wests were not coast guard approved mainly because they were not puncture resistant, in other words, if punctured, they would lose all buoyancy. However, today inflatable lifejackets are commonplace. I glanced at the regulations and to me, it seemed that only Type I required that they turn an unconscious person over onto their back. Inflatable PFDs could satisfy Type I, II, III, and V.

I see that the big difference is that inflatable PFDs must be in good condition, and have a full cylinder and green status indicators or it is not considered serviceable and doesn’t satisfy the minimum requirements. Since we don't see the CO2 inflaters on BCs any more, let alone a green status indicator, that, to me, would be the main reason BCs are not considered legit PFDs. But I don't want to argue whether or not a BC is a PFD or not. It is already established that they are NOT.

Now I realize that this thread is about BP/Ws keeping a diver upright on the surface. Many have stated that with proper trim, they will keep one upright, some others claim they won't. I never put too much thought into it, but never noticed mine trying to turn me on the surface. My curiousity is fully peaked. This sounds like something fun to investigate for myself.

Personally, I think that if there is any question with your setup, you should go out and check it for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom