BP/W vs Jacket style BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If one of your goals is tech diving, by all means go BP/W. They appear almost universal in the tech community.

Otherwise there's another issue with BP/W I did not see in the previous posts: The weight of the plate on your back tends to make you "turn turtle".

Otherwise there's another issue with BP/W I did not see in the previous posts: The weight of the plate on your back tends to make you "turn turtle".
Maybe for the first dive. I can't remember the last time I turtled unless I wanted to! I tend to nap during Deco intervals. :D

You'll turn turtle if you suddenly switch from AL to steel tanks!

(Did that last week...)

. . . Except the last statement :D
That last statement is currently indisputable. Because as long as I'm a poster on the board, the board has the potential to be wrong.:kiss2:

Maybe for the first dive. I can't remember the last time I turtled unless I wanted to! I tend to nap during Deco intervals. :D

You'll turn turtle if you suddenly switch from AL to steel tanks!

(Did that last week...)
Turtling may also occur if both you and your mentor forget one small, but crucial detail after initially setting-up the rig. . . Nylon webbing loosens-up when it gets wet. And for the record. It was bad enough having the tank shift and roll me over, but being laughed at underwater didn't help. So, if you're a mentor, friend, instructor, or whatever, try and hold it in. Or at least stop laughing long enough to give the person a hand. I'm just saying. . .

If one of your goals is tech diving, by all means go BP/W. They appear almost universal in the tech community.

They also appear very commonly in the recreational community.

I'm curious to know how a plate, flat across your back, causes you to "turn turtle?" If that was the case every diver, regardless of BP or Jacket BC would be turtle due to the ~40lb tank on their back.

I'm curious to know how a plate, flat across your back, causes you to "turn turtle?" If that was the case every diver, regardless of BP or Jacket BC would be turtle due to the ~40lb tank on their back.

My own experience with side-inflate jacket BCs is that they tend to turtle you because the gas is low on your center of gravity and can collect on one side of the bladder.

To me, this suggests that the "turtling" or "face-down" arguments for different buoyancy devices is just a function of getting used to something "different," not necessarily something that has an inclination to do any given thing. That's why you also see this pop up when people talk about changing tanks, moving to drysuits, etc. What people believe some new equipment does is greatly relative to the equipment they're used to.

...The weight of the plate on your back tends to make you "turn turtle".

Turning Turtle is an experience problem, not a gear issue.

So, if you're a mentor, friend, instructor, or whatever, try and hold it in. Or at least stop laughing long enough to give the person a hand. I'm just saying. . .
Obviously, you don't want me as a mentor! :D I even laugh at myself!

If you are getting flipped bend your knees and keep your fin blades horizontal, spread your knees apart.

Horizontal fin blades ~3-4 feet apart will keep you stable.

Tobin

To err is inevitable.

Your sig line is "right on target" for that post...

:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom