• I own 2 or more BP/Wing setups and I can pretty much easily afford it

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • I own 2 or more BP/Wing setups and I [i]really can't[/i] afford it

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 SS/27lbs Halcyon Pioneer setup that is dedicated to singles.

1 SS FredT setup for Doubles, specifically 80's. I have a crappy 55lbs ScubaPro wing on their now since I don't dive doubles a lot right now. It will be replaced with a 55lbs Halcyon Exploror later.

Going to get a FredT AL for steel doubles later.

I used to just switch out the wing on my SS BP. But I found out that the SS BP was really too heavy for a set of double 104's, so now I have two separate sets. The AL BP I bought from FredT and was very reasonably priced, so it was not an expensive switch.

I have a SS BP with my single right now, but plan on switching between them when I do go to twins instead of having two set ups.

detroit diver once bubbled...
I used to just switch out the wing on my SS BP. But I found out that the SS BP was really too heavy for a set of double 104's, so now I have two separate sets. The AL BP I bought from FredT and was very reasonably priced, so it was not an expensive switch.

Sorry if this question sounds stupid but why do you use a ss bp anyway? Why not just use al for all setups? What's the advantage with a ss bp?

jiveturkey once bubbled...

Sorry if this question sounds stupid but why do you use a ss bp anyway? Why not just use al for all setups? What's the advantage with a ss bp?

It's a matter of balance and trim. Getting the weight in the right places to hover horizontally means using different weight BP's for different situations for some people.

My twin 104's are very heavy near my upper body, and the SS BP threw an additional 5 lbs up there-throwing off my trim. I was fighting to keep my feet from floating away as my head was being forced down. The AL BP solved some of this issue.

On a single tank rig with an AL80, I need the extra weight of the SS BP to help keep my upper body down to stay trim. An AL BP would be too light and I would have to fight the head's up orientation.

I hope that helps explain some....

....for the replies.

My main focus was to find out whether or not it was incredibly easy to swich out wings and/or if there was any pertinent info to consider (i.e. - stripping the screws, damaging the wing, etc.) in doing so.

I probably should have included a "I only dive BP/Wing with doubles" option as well.

I guess the price for a new BP and harness when compared to a wing isn't that bad.

Do you need to come over and check out my gear?

I have both single tank and doubles wings.

Wendy once bubbled...
Do you need to come over and check out my gear?
Sounds like a good idea. You think you would be able to make this dive? Anyway, I could use some trimming tips :small:.

with my doubles. I have made a spreader plate that stops the taco effect of the wing when I use a sta for singles, but I prefer to use my Chute II instead. Go figure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom