breakfast and sea sickness corrolation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've fished commercially most of my life, not to mention dive boats, so I've seen my share of people getting seasick (including myself when I was younger). As was already mentioned, stay away from coffee and citrus fruit. Also, try to stay away from grease, butter and oils, etc. These will also upset an already queasy stomach. Try eating breads and cereals before a trip. Try to stay on deck in the fresh air if you're feeling under the weather and focus on something stationary on land or if out of sight of land, the horizon (don't watch the waves). Dramamine and Bonamine work for most people, Bonamine is used by the Canadian Navy for those who are prone to seasickness and I've never met anyone who it didn't work for.

If all else fails, remember these words of wisdom:

Lord Nelson knew the perfect way to cure your mal de mer,
And if you pay attention, hi secret I will share.
To any seasick sailor he'd give this advice for free:
If you're feeling seasick, sit underneath a tree.

Cheers,
Al.

I always have a bowl of cereal or oatmeal before diving. Then I carry cereal bars in my dive bag for the SI. So far <knock wood> haven't been sea sick, nor have I had an upset tummy from eating too much, or the wrong kind of breakfast. Sticking to bland foods prior to diving seems to be the trick for me.

Oh yeah, and I wear a patch! :wink:

I find that just getting up very early seems to throw my stomach off.
I find not eating helps me.

A Doc friend said that while alot of the motion sickness is generated from your ears feeling movement, and your eyes not seeing the same motion (thus looking out of the boat helps).........it makes your stomach overproduce acid

Try a OTC (over the counter) acid blocker....... Prilosec or the like........
See if that helps

BT

There's something about the smell of diesel fuel that sets a lot of people off. I was on ships for about 25 years and seasickness was not a problem, if it was going to get rough I'd take meclizine. That being said, if I go into a bilge and get a good whiff of diesel fuel, I'll feel the sweat start and my mouth start salivating. Stay away from the smell of diesel fuel.

For breakfast I'd recommend a smoked oyster sandwich(the kind that are in the little cans packed in oil) with lots of mayonaise, followed by a warm beer. Eat it while rocking in the cabin with a couple of cigar smokers.:eek:uttahere

WVDiver:
I've never been sea sick so I can't relate to your problem really but I'll say this. You've got a good wife, she's watching out for you.

yea I know, she is the best. I really got the best end of the deal in every way.

Thanks for all the replies. it confirmed really what she already noticed. I called my doc and he can perscribe the patch or an oral drug like antivert. I have already taken antivert after a wreck I had that caused enough head trama to cause vertigo for a while.

Thanks!

I usually eat something bready before I dive, like a bagel or a banana. Nothing greasy or acidic. Coffee, OJ, bacon and eggs, etc, usually make me hurl.
Inevitably, though, unless I take drugs, (and sometimes, depending on the seas, even then), I end up seeing it again. It's gotten to the point where I think about things that would taste as pleasant coming back up as they did going down.

I hope he patch works out for you, it really is a wonderful thing. :)

I'll second diverberr's suggestion of staying on deck and looking at something stationary. A charter fishing boat taught me that one when I was a kid. It works. I've used it a few times since.
Taught it to a lady on the Cozumel ferry. Had to. She was sitting there looking real pitiful with a half full bread bag swinging between her knees. Felt sorry for her. Her old man was yelling at her as if she could help it. Kinda wanted to toss him over.

And diverberr! How could you do that to a Clown fish!?! :D

Man...I don't know how I could dive all day long after eating just some fruit and yogurt :D

I like heavy meals for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner when I am diving. I eat chorrizo and eggs with some tortillas and potatos in the morning. Hi-carb lunch with a meat dish and some starches. Then a steak (red meat or fish variety) with some cold beer for dinner. I don't get sea sick.

Fruits and nuts are for squirrels.

1RUSTYRIG:

Fruits and nuts are for squirrels.

And for California. Opps, wrong thread, sorry :11ztongue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom