Breaking in a new BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is still not exactly the way my pad looks, but it is closer than the first pic I posted. This one has two additional slits in the center that mine doesn't have.

1957.jpg

Still too thin to be of much help. What's the max thickness of the pad between the strap and the tank? Looks like less than 1/8".

Tobin

Maybe you should produce a video of the proper tightening procedure, I would think that around 99% of tank slippage is due to improper tightening methods. And I don't buy the wet the tank band thing, maby if you let it soak for a half hour or so but a quick dip and putting on the tank? I believe it takes nylon more than a quick dip and maybe 5 minutes of water drying off it to absorb enough water to do anything:idk:.

IMO, most of the slippage is due to cambands not being straight around the tank.

Tobin

I let mine soak for a minute or so. I do not let it dry. Put the BC on the tank, tighten the cam and let it sit and stretch for minute, The retighten. I can sometimes get another 1/8 -1/4 inch of slack taken up.

Works like a charm, doesn't cost a dime and is one less piece of gear to deal with. What's not to like? :idk:

Still too thin to be of much help. What's the max thickness of the pad between the strap and the tank? Looks like less than 1/8".

Tobin
I don't see why it's got to be so complicated. If a silky-smooth nylon webbing tends to slide against the polished smooth surface of a painted surface of a painted tank, it stands to reason that putting a grabby rubber piece through the webbing will help prevent sliding. I see it that simple. You don't go bowling while wearing grabby rubber soled running shoes. You use smooth sliding shoes.

IIRC I've only had one incident of a sliding tank. It happened with the BCD that came with the rubber strap and it happened after I removed said strap. It wasn't a major tragedy. I only noticed that the tank had slipped a few inches after I removed it from my back and proceeded to swap the BC to a fresh one. I placed the rubber strap back in and never had slippage problems since.

I think there is merit in getting the camband wet and I also think that setting it straight around the tank does help. Both of those make sense. The rubber strap also makes sense.

I don't see why it's got to be so complicated. If a silky-smooth nylon webbing tends to slide against the polished smooth surface of a painted surface of a painted tank, it stands to reason that putting a grabby rubber piece through the webbing will help prevent sliding. I see it that simple. You don't go bowling while wearing grabby rubber soled running shoes. You use smooth sliding shoes.

IIRC I've only had one incident of a sliding tank. It happened with the BCD that came with the rubber strap and it happened after I removed said strap. It wasn't a major tragedy. I only noticed that the tank had slipped a few inches after I removed it from my back and proceeded to swap the BC to a fresh one. I placed the rubber strap back in and never had slippage problems since.

I think there is merit in getting the camband wet and I also think that setting it straight around the tank does help. Both of those make sense. The rubber strap also makes sense.

I don't bowl on a wet lane. Go hose down a smooth piece of concrete (high school corridor etc.) and see how well your best vibram soled shoes work.

Tacky & Grabby just don't mean much on a wet tank.

It requires very little tension in a camband to retain a tank, but it does require some.

Having compliance in the system provides a means to maintain some tension even as the strap stretches and the tank diameter is reduced as the pressure drops.

Wide thin "pads" don't compress, and change the coefficient of friction very little.

Short thick pads do both.

Tobin

Well... I barely use that BC these days. I think it's been more than a year since the poor thing has seen the water. Also my one time slippage occurence is hardly statistically valid data. So I'll do a "no-contest plea" since this topic seems to be part of your day-job. :)

1- for the debate- best solution is to put 2 tanks in bands and bolt them to a plate.
2- for the OP. best way to break in a new BC is to take it diving :) No real break in period is needed, just make sure to mount the tank correctly and tighten the straps correctly...wetting helps. Then go dive the hell out of it, enjoy your new dive gear, as it will soon be an old friend.

Just seems odd that all the discussion ignores the fact that the OP has a ScubaPro BCD which likely has the Scubapro quick release camband with SS clamp. Very short with little stretch, and no rubber piece.

Like Jim said, soak it for a minute and clamp it down. It won't slip.

Back
Top Bottom