Breath Hold Training Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are probably going to find your GUE instructors are requiring a 400 yard swim. After all we are not diving in tropical conditions here, and fitness is important. Our swim test for Fundies was 400 yards. The breath hold swim is pretty easy to do. Just take a few minutes to relax before performing the skill.

The surface swim is not a problem, although I'm not sure if I could do it in 14 minutes. If they increase the distance, I'm guessing they increase the time allowed? I wish I found the breath hold swim pretty easy to do, but I'm working on it :)

I will try what you're suggesting. I'm like you- I'm not missing a pass based on the swim test. I won't take the class until I'm confident I can do it, but I'm still pretty far away from taking the class because I'd like to be a better diver before I start, too :)

I had to do a 25 yard breathhold for the aquarium, and I practiced in the pool while I was on vacation - initially I could not swim more than 15 yards or so. It just so happened that several divers from another aquarium happened to be in the pool at the same time and asked me what I was doing. I told them and we started chatting and soon they had no qualms about telling me what I was doing wrong. Which was mostly moving too much. Their point - how long can I sit and hold my breath - sixty seconds? ninety? I can reasonably swim 25 yards in at most 30-40 seconds, so if I need to breathe, it's because I'm expending too much energy. I was kicking a lot and using my arms. As I started to glide more, and KNOW that I could make it, I made it. The one other thing (mentioned) was relaxing ahead of time. When I went to the pool to practice right before the test, I was hyped up to start and couldn't make it all the way across the length of the pool (25 yards). I realized I needed to get into my "zen" place and THEN and ONLY THEN try it. I did so and made across with no problem. It's mind over matter, and as Lynne mentioned, technique (measured strokes and gliding).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom