Breath training for scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP has started a number of threads that suggest he is diligently reading through the open water manual ahead of actually taking his class, and is being left with a bunch of questions.

In this case, it seems likely he is thinking about the CESA skill, with the continuous exhalation. But, of course, we also emphasize that, while doing the regulator recovery skill or any other skill which involves even a brief period without a reg in the diver's mouth (eg. Oral inflation), the student should be blowing bubbles. So the OP has got it right about continuous exhalation. And he's right that divers ought to be comfortable, at least for brief periods, without a regulator or anything to breathe, because this is one of the things that most definitely can happen. I believe Rick Inman wrote a story a while back about a dive where a diver got his reg kicked out of his mouth, panicked, and bolted. Bolting is very bad, so becoming really comfortable with skills like reg recovery is very important.

However, the length of time that an OW diver should spend trying to solve such a problem, before finding another solution (using their own secondary reg, or going to a buddy for gas) is short. I suspect the agencies writing OW classes really DON'T want students to work on comfort with prolonged breath-holding, in part because the risk of embolism if buoyancy control is lost during that time is just so high.

Reactions: jdg
TSandM, you are confusing the o.p. of this thread with someone else. I have passed OW and AOW. I am not confused about breathing or how to perform a CESA.

You should be comfortable without a regulator in your mouth for a short period of time. In technical training, this gets drilled -- one of my cave exercises was to swim 50 feet on a breath hold, in full gear, to another diver to get gas donated. But for the recreational diver, in theory, you should always be either within easy reach of your buddy for gas, or already performing a CESA -- and recreational divers are not supposed to get themselves into any situation where neither is possible.

One of my huge bugs, "do you want to be above or below?" No!!!! beside me please. Lets see each other. You are right on as far as I am concerned.

Edit: My dive buddy is not my buddy he is my lifeline. As I am his/or hers

Back
Top Bottom