Breathe Uncompressed Air Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember reading about this incident...as I recall one of the reasons he was able to survive that long is the CO2 was absorbed by the water so didn't increase to toxic levels.

Vaguely related thread steal: During WWII the submarine USS Tang was sunk by a circular run torpedo. One of the crewmen escaped from the conning tower and paused in an air pocket on the bridge. He spoke with another crew member also there, then made an ascent to the surface---the first recorded occasion of such an escape, IIRC. The other guy didn't. Other seamen used the sub's escape hatch...some survived & some didn't. A total of 9 crewmen survived to be captured by the Japanese they'd been attacking, imprisoned and tortured.

There's a good book about it: Escape From The Deep, by Alex Kershaw.

Continue...

Considering drowning is much more concerning than dcs, I would choose to take a quick breath, keep my airway open, and bolt for the surface. A hospital deals with the bends, a coroner with a drowning.

Given that it is at depth, the air is still classed as compressed. Therefore any attempt to make a breath hold ascent would most likely result in lung overexpansion injury and/or DCS, as per usual.

we're with GrumpyOldGuy though, this story sounds more like fiction than fact.

After 2 days wouldn't it be a saturation dive? Better have lots of gas to come up on and/or a chamber ready to go........

What about hypothermia. Two days submerged in even 80°F water - don't think so.

I just remembered the old Myth Busters episode there they used the pressure difference between the surface and dive depth to literally suck a pig (standing in for a human) into one of the old style brass dive helmets from the dive suit. The entire pig! The result was a gory mix of pulp, blood and tissue worthy of a Friday the 13th movie.

My take away is NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE what pressure differences underwater will do to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom