Breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyancy control through breathing is a skill that takes time to master. I practice it on every dive at the safety stop(s). I do bob a little, but you shouldn't bob much, not more than a foot if you are under control. I am just back from a week of diving in Mexico, and the speed of consumption for some new divers, due to moving a lot, being excited and jazzed by the dive itself, and lack of practice, was about twice that of the experienced people. However, even the new people experienced improvement each day. Some thing just take time and practice. We were all new divers once, with the same questions and same issues.
DivemasterDennis

That exercise we all did. on bottom shallow water and fins on bottom? Up and down we go? Do that then go to keeping about a foot off the bottom in 5-6 feet of water, do a few tank fulls. Great way to make you cool your breathing. But in shallow water only. Very hard to start.

Would doing some cardio help me?

On about three different fronts.

:d

Two years ago I started an active cycling/swimming regimen. My SAC rate improved dramatically... plus I lost a bunch of weight, my cholesterol and glucose numbers all moved in the right direction, I look better, and feel better all the way around.

I did need to buy new clothes, however.

Did I explain that wrong?

Breathing and buoyancy are intimately related. The advice to "breathe slowly and deeply" can really wreak havoc with the buoyancy of a man with a large lung volume.

The one virtue of the old "fin pivot" exercise, was that, as the student practiced, he would notice there was a certain rhythm to things -- inhale, and as you notice you are rising, exhale, and as you notice you are sinking, inhale again. With practice and careful observation, one can cultivate a rhythm that results in almost no net displacement in the water column -- just maybe a couple of inches. This also tends to be a very efficient breathing pattern, which is slow enough to maximize air time, but fast enough to get rid of C02.

I've tried various combinations but in, out, in, out works best and in, in, in, out is just plain uncomfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom