Broken bones - okay to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it were a choice between a dive trip or broken finger... I'd amputate.. LOL

No, seriously would a finger "tip" really keep someone out of the water? I could understand for a larger bony structure.. but I don't think I'd be stopped unless there was solid evidence it could lead to bigger problems.

Did the physician who diagnosed the fracture immobilize the finger? If so, I would avoid diving until the immobilization is removed.

Hand injuries are important because correct healing is necessary to regain complete function of the hand, and we use our hands. That said, if this is a tuft fracture (smashing the very end of the very last bone) then how it heals has little or no impact on the usefulness of the finger. The concerns about DCS in fracture areas are, as far as I know, almost completely theoretical.

Having broken more bones than 20 normal people and have been seen by some of the better ortho's on the east coast that also have extensive background addressing sports injuries along with our beloved sport of blowing bubbles underwater, I can tell you every doctor that has treated me has had no issues w/ a dive after an open wound from surgery has healed. If a finger or toe is splinted, you have to dive with the splint on.

Now, it will be dependent on how you are feeling. Keep in mind that you need not to stress the finger or hand that has the injury.

As far as the actual pressure on the break causing detrimental damage, very unlikely.

I was diving 9 days after this thumb break...... 2 plates and 5 screws later.... had to wait for the scar to heal.......

Clearly just my personal experience w/ 54 breaks....... :wink:

Attachments

• DSC00037.JPG
    DSC00037.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00039.JPG
    DSC00039.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 75
Here's another vote for contacting a scuba specializing doctor from DAN. Sure, you'll probably be ok, but 'probably' can often be a losing bet.

Let us know how it turns out.
DS

Did the physician who diagnosed the fracture immobilize the finger? If so, I would avoid diving until the immobilization is removed.

Hand injuries are important because correct healing is necessary to regain complete function of the hand, and we use our hands. That said, if this is a tuft fracture (smashing the very end of the very last bone) then how it heals has little or no impact on the usefulness of the finger. The concerns about DCS in fracture areas are, as far as I know, almost completely theoretical.

Yea ole hammer hit on the finger tip trick. No open wound. Short splint with tape. Not a big deal as injuries go, but at that moment I wanted to cry :(

Thanks to all for their input and advice!
Velovp

Having broken more bones than 20 normal people and have been seen by some of the better ortho's on the east coast that also have extensive background addressing sports injuries along with our beloved sport of blowing bubbles underwater, I can tell you every doctor that has treated me has had no issues w/ a dive after an open wound from surgery has healed. If a finger or toe is splinted, you have to dive with the splint on.

Now, it will be dependent on how you are feeling. Keep in mind that you need not to stress the finger or hand that has the injury.

As far as the actual pressure on the break causing detrimental damage, very unlikely.

I was diving 9 days after this thumb break...... 2 plates and 5 screws later.... had to wait for the scar to heal.......

Clearly just my personal experience w/ 54 breaks....... :wink:

What the Hell do you do, jump off of every elevated area you encounter? Do you have an obsession with testing out the airbags in your vehicle? Really rough sex? Are you into No Holds Barred padless Kickboxing? Is your spouse easily angered? You don't have more breaks than 20 normal people, you have more breaks than about 75 normal people! :D

Some of us lead active lives . . . (she says, 23 fractures and 7 ORIFs later)

I cannot even begin to list how many times I have broken toes, foot bones, and ankle bones. Probably half were sports related injures and the other half from being clumsy.

Carrie

I'll give some advice when I come back from seeing an orthopedic surgeon this week...having been a sufficiently bad-tempered moron to punch my old tv set and shatter the knuckle off the end of my 5th metacarple on friday :( Undoubtably, it will be a slightly slower process, as it is an open fracture too, so risk of infection is also an issue that will keep me dry for a while. Here's hoping that the Philippine's medical system will leap into action with efficient and necessary treatment... gulp!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom