Broken bones - okay to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll give some advice when I come back from seeing an orthopedic surgeon this week...having been a sufficiently bad-tempered moron to punch my old tv set and shatter the knuckle off the end of my 5th metacarple on friday :( Undoubtably, it will be a slightly slower process, as it is an open fracture too, so risk of infection is also an issue that will keep me dry for a while. Here's hoping that the Philippine's medical system will leap into action with efficient and necessary treatment... gulp!

Sounds like anger management issues. My hubby did sometime similar, although rather than punch his ex, he chose to punch a wall.

You should call DAN and talk to someone who might actually have an answer.
A few years ago, Mrs. Stoo severely broke her leg skiing. (Spiral fractures, six of them, in both her tib and fib, requiring a rod and six screws to be put back together.)

After a very slow recovery, we planned a trip almost two years after the fracture. I called DAN as her leg continued to cause her some discomfort. As I recall, the answer I got was something like "Wait a year after a complete recovery". When it appeared she was unlikely to ever have a "complete" recovery, I called again, and got a less specific answer. I came to the conclusion that there was no "correct" answer..

I finally sent an email to a friend who happens to be a well knows diving physician. His response was basically, "Take it easy, and if it hurts after diving, suck some O2 and don't do it again"! (Needless to say, I'm not going to mention his name!)

So that's what we did... and she suffered no ill effects at all. We kept our profiles to ND times and so on of course.

Your finger is a very minor break by comparison, BUT it isn't healed yet. I suspect that you will could ask ten diving doctors and you'll get different 10 answers.

My guess (and it is only that), is that as long as you take it easy and don't push your times, you will be absolutely fine. The worst thing that could happen is you might get a wee bend in your finger, but it's not likely to be fatal!

Disclaimer: I am no Doctor. Follow this advice at your own risk! :idk:

I am guessing that this is an inquiry for info so that when you ask your doctor you have some idea of what to expect.

As far as pressure goes, it will be uniform across the area of the break so no trouble there. As far as nitrogen gas bubbles, I assume that circulation appears fine in the area of the break and therefore should not be any different if you dive within no deco limits.

Basically wondering does medicinal marijuana affect the healing process of broken bones?
Background:
So I broke my right ankle at the bottom of my tibia and tore the ligaments in both. (Racing Supercross). I was in a cast on the right for 5 weeks now with more x-rays still broken but doctor gave me a walking cast (instead of regular cast) for an additional 4. I have been smoking rather often to help with pain (in beginning) and now b/c I'm so bored and have nothing else to do.
But I'm beginning to think maybe it's hurting me in the long run. I did some research and found that cigarette smoking affects you greatly in the healing time of your broken bones. But what about marijuana smoke?

I broke my collar bone last year, I called DAN since I'm a member about a dive trip coming up. They pretty much said that as long as my family doctor cleared me for physical activity (swim, don gear, climb boat ladder), I was good to go. No concerns about added risk of decompression sickness outside the first couple days (even that was only theoretical).

Don't take my word, call Dan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom