BSAC Novice Diver Qualification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laff

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I qualified as BSAC NOVICE Divers around 30 years ago. We did 5 0r 6 dives on holiday over the following few years, all with qualified dive leaders. We are now thinking of diving again when we go to the Maldives later this year. Do we need to completely retrain, or is there a refresher course suitable for us? We are only planning occasional dives whilst on holidays, and would only ever go with a qualified dive leader.

Thanks for any feedback.

Any instructor can give you a mini-refresher and take you out in shallow water as a Discover Scuba Dive.

But why not use this to get an actual Open Water certificate? If you do it via one of the commercial agencies like PADI or SSI, it's very quick. Especially because you now have the option of doing all the classroom stuff as e-learning before you even get to the site. The course starts with a pool or shallow and calm beach session to go over the basic skills. If you book it as a private class for just the two of you, that should go quite quickly as well given your prior experience.

The last part is 4 open water dives. The first two or three you demonstrate skills again during the dive and the final is a normal dive with your instructor as a dive leader.

My wife and I qualified as BSAC NOVICE Divers around 30 years ago. We did 5 0r 6 dives on holiday over the following few years, all with qualified dive leaders. We are now thinking of diving again when we go to the Maldives later this year. Do we need to completely retrain, or is there a refresher course suitable for us? We are only planning occasional dives whilst on holidays, and would only ever go with a qualified dive leader.

Thanks for any feedback.
Hi Laff

I would think you and your wife may need to be retrained because you have not dived for several decades.

As your postcode suggests that you live in England, you have two supplier options - a local dive centre (i.e. PADI or SSI or other), and your local BSAC branch which can be found via the BSAC website.

By the way, the BSAC chairman occasionally posts on Scubaboard, and it is possible that he add to this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom