BSAC/PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

esteilz:
Hi Kev !

I am Estelle et I am a translator from English into French.
I have to translate "aircrew diver" for a text but I absolutely do not know what it is and I cannot find it anywhere (dictionnaries, Internet ...). So could you please explain me in a few words what is the job of an aircrew diver so that I could find its equivalent in French.

Thanks a lot !

Estelle
Estelle,

I believe the word you're looking for as used by the Marine Nationale is "plongeur sauveteur". They're employed in Search and Rescue. Take a look at the pictures at the bottom of this page for an idea:
http://www.helicopassion.com/fr/03/pant04.htm

"my instructor has been training since the days when BSAC wouldnt let you in the open water for 2 years,"

A lot of the time things quoted on websites eventually turn into tablets of stone. So to be absolutely clear on this - the above statement is incorrect. BSAC has never set a time limit on letting you into the water but some clubs are much better than others at getting you through the training.

"its probably the reason they almost went bust (as i recall the british government bailed them out)"

No, they nearly went bust because of some serious lack of accounting oversight by those tasked with the job combined with some very serious alleged fraud by an employee. The British Government DID NOT give BSAC any money at all.

Back to the OP. I don't think they are at all familiar with BSAC qualifications or the spirit or intent of BSAC's SALT system. BSAC Ocean Divers can dive together (within limits) with DO approval in the same way that any reasonable PADI DM will allow Open Water Divers dive together once he's satisfied as to their competence and experience. With regard to Rescue Diver, it is a very good course, in fact the jewel in PADI's crown for non-professional courses. It far outstrips the BSAC's rescue training, but BSAC trains in rescue throughout its courses whereas PADI does it in one single course, which trainees are not obliged to take - horses for courses. I'm equally happy to dive with BSAC or PADI trained divers in the UK or abroad. Anyone in the UK who still subscribes to the idea that PADI UK doesn't produce divers capable of coping with our conditions is frankly, well out of date. You may of course come across divers who have never experienced UK conditions and therefore might be regarded as 'undertrained' but PADI doesn't have a monopoly (yet!) on warm water training, they could have been equally well molly-coddled through a warm water BSAC School. In any event such divers are advised by whatever training Agency they originally certified with to obtain suitable orientation training in the conditions they wish to experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom