buckles on the transplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I talked to a couple "VERY EXPERIENCED", very respected divers that have been around and diving since the 70s (and published/referenced in a lot of books) . They both told me the same exact thing. The whole 'failure point' thing is way overblown. In the early years of plastic buckles on BC's and BP/W - a few companies played with a few different buckles from plastic manufacturers that were inferior and a few broke. BUT - for the last 10-15 years - any respectable brand is using buckles that are designed and manufactured to withstand MUCH more weight than we can. Buckle failure from load is a "preceived' problem" and not a "real threat" . The real threat is a tank being dropped on your buckle while on the boat or other transportation device, and even that will not likely break the buckle - which you will notice before you are in the water when you go to buckle it.

Ask some of the Famous divers that literally wrote the books on diving what they think about the whole "1 piece webbing or you will die" mentallity.

I dive a transplate with double 100's, double 95's, stage bottle,mutliple reels, lights, catch and lift bags, SS 6lb hammer, - basiclly loads of weight - and I dont worry about the buckles.

To each his own (within reason and certain standards). This is why I like my instructor so much. He has thousands of dives, done the whole GUE/DIR thing, full cave certified,tech certs out the wazoo, basically been through the brain washing and back - he basically says that whatever makes you most comfortable (within reason and certain guidelines) is what is right for you. If you like the quick release and it makes donning/doffing your gear easier - than they might be right for you. He doesnt believe that everyone has to be forced to be comfortable with an identical config. Its also about individual preference and comfort and how it makes you feel in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom