Buddy breathing and GUE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KimLeece:
I just checked the GUE site. It appears to be at least a part of Cave3. Wether it is actually taught earlier as well I can't really tell. Hopefully someone will tell us soon!!
In any event, as it's part of Cave3 I presume that they don't have anything against it.

I have JJ's DIR book in front of me. Page 19, Mask Clearing, C. Advanced technical diver:

"While buddy breathing (sharing one second stage) with mask removed, swim 100' (30m), replace the mask and clear it in less than five seconds"

IMHO this means that GUE doesn't have anything against it.

filtered:
hmmm...let's see. For a situation like that to happen, with a team of 2 divers, we would need :

- the diver to have totally lost deco gas (assuming worst case there was a tank neck failure), or no stage diving.
- left-post manifold failure, isolated.
- donated long hose

For a team of 2 divers all you need is an OOG diver and a left post failure on the diver with gas. That's it. Which is what you just said, I guess. :)

In a team of 3, it becomes harder to imagine a situation which would result in needing to breath from the inflator. I think chances of striking the lottery 3 times in a row are higher :p

Which is why the prefered DIR team size is 3.

diveh3:
I guess you could breathe the air down from your wing but why would you want to ? adding bouyancy problems to an already compounding situation.

Dan

I dont think you should have enough air in your wing to be able to breathe!

The book was funny as hell tho I wish I could find a copy again, it just had some WAY OUT THERE techniques, that I am sure teh guy just sat around thinking up and had never really tried.

Soggy:
Though I have never tried it, my understanding of the technique where you breathe from the LPI, is that you don't inhale the air that's in the wing, you depress both buttons and breathe fresh air from the tank and exhale it into the environment. Obviously a VERY last ditch resort, but might be just enough to get one home in real bad situation....ice diving comes to mind, where reg failures are very very common.

It is easier when you bend the ribbed hose to the wing until it is slightly kinked. This will ensure that no gas flows from or to the wing so your boyancy is not affected.
I tried it a few times in the pool and after some training you can breathe from the inflator while staying on the current depth.
But I hope I'll never need it.

filtered:
hmmm...let's see. For a situation like that to happen, with a team of 2 divers, we would need :

- the diver to have totally lost deco gas (assuming worst case there was a tank neck failure), or no stage diving.
- left-post manifold failure, isolated.
- donated long hose

which means the buddy would have had
- totally lost deco gas
- failures on both right and left manifold, resulting in catastrophically total gas loss.

In a team of 3, it becomes harder to imagine a situation which would result in needing to breath from the inflator. I think chances of striking the lottery 3 times in a row are higher :p

Imagine an OOG diver swiming on his buddy's longhose out of a cave through a narrow passage. OOG diver is in front, donating diver behind. When the donating diver gets a problem on the left post, he will have to breath from something until the team clears the passage and sort out the problem...

MonkSeal:
I have JJ's DIR book in front of me. Page 19, Mask Clearing, C. Advanced technical diver:

"While buddy breathing (sharing one second stage) with mask removed, swim 100' (30m), replace the mask and clear it in less than five seconds"

IMHO this means that GUE doesn't have anything against it.
Doh - silly me. I never thought to look there!! Actually you are right and more, on the same page 19, Mask Clearing, B, Advanced diver:

"Be able to buddy breathe (sharing one second stage) with the mask removed"

So I think that we can safely say that buddy breathing is DIR!

Reinoud:
Imagine an OOG diver swiming on his buddy's longhose out of a cave through a narrow passage. OOG diver is in front, donating diver behind. When the donating diver gets a problem on the left post, he will have to breath from something until the team clears the passage and sort out the problem...

hmmm...that's true. But personally I feel that if it were a post failure due to a freeflowing reg, then it's easier reach back and feather the valve to control the freeflow, while still breathing off the left post, rather than breathing off the inflator.

Just my $0.02 worth :)

Reinoud:

That's a nice time to have a 3 man team, I guess you could sandwich the OOA diver. of have the OOA go first - which would take care of the situation you described.

MASS-Diver:
That's a nice time to have a 3 man team, I guess you could sandwich the OOA diver. of have the OOA go first - which would take care of the situation you described.

Or else just kill him off and recover his gear :D Save a whole lot of trouble

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom