DIR- GUE wetsuit -> drysuit transition timing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

overthinking_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I took fundamentals last week, improved a ton but didn't pass. There's a detailed explanation of my struggles here - DIR- GUE - Finding teammates after failing fundamentals

My goal right now is to dive as much as possible. I live in the Northeast US so diving during a large portion of the year requires a drysuit. I have no experience in a drysuit so I'll be starting from scratch. I'm really tempted to take the drysuit primer as it'll open so much diving opportunity for me. On the other hand, I'm hesitant adding a new major(?) piece ot equipment to my configuration right after not passing a class.

So do you recommend focusing on getting a stable platform with a wetsuit first and then switching, or should I just switch and never look back?

Also, is the GUE primer a good first experience with a drysuit or should I get some experience elsewhere first?

I switched and never looked back. That said, if the water isn't too cool, I prefer the flexibility of movement in a wetsuit.

I would do the drysuit primer, then work on your other skills in the config you will use the most, that being a drysuit, due to your local conditions.

I started diving a drysuit 5 years ago and it is my go to all year. Big thing with a drysuit is that you get one that fits you properly and does not limit your mobility.

Since you have not dove a drysuit before I would do the primer. Then figure out what configuration you are wanting to dive and then practice your skills in the same config under you have mastered them. Consistency is key.

I would move to a drysuit sooner rather than later. It is will open up a lot of local diving for you year around and is not as difficult as some people believe -- our local dive shop pretty much does all Open Water classes as combined OW/Drysuit classes given our water temperatures year around.

Edited to add: Doing the Drysuit Primer should get many of your equipment choices for Fundies worked out as well.

Drysuit is not a hard transition at all. I do recommend the class.

Go dry soon, you won't regret it.

As others have said, if you intend to dive dry locally, I would go ahead and take the primer course and start diving dry as much as possible. Diving dry is not difficult, it just takes a few dives to get comfortable and a primer will help you learn the basic skills to feel confident with it. I live in FL but dive dry almost 90% of the time. Granted, if it's July/August in FL and I'm boat diving, I will be in a wetsuit. But, I would definitely prefer to be in a drysuit!

I took Fundies in wetsuit. And though I haven’t yet read your other thread, let me say even in a wetsuit Fundies was challenging for me. But I eventually passed Fundies and soon acquired a drysuit and took Drysuit Primer. I felt Drysuit Primer was valuable because you get to repeat all the Fundies skills but now in a drysuit (and for untalented me, it was like learning to dive all over again). So, if nothing else it’s a nice refresher.

If you can't be stable in a wet suit, that won't get easier in a dry suit. I'd get to the point where you're able to hold trim and depth to the recreational standard before adding that in, unless the water is so cold you won't be able to practice at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom