Buddy breathing vs Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were paired in the water because my wife, who was my buddy, bailed at the last minute while I was in the water waiting for her. It was "you and you are now buddies - go!" and my new buddy immediately descended without so much as a "how do you do." So, there's not much I could do but follow. The whole dive was a real cluster . . . .

The only good thing was I was able to recover my mask . . . .

And I now make sure that the gear check is done *before* hitting the dump valve if it hasn't been done on the boat.

We were paired in the water because my wife, who was my buddy, bailed at the last minute while I was in the water waiting for her. It was "you and you are now buddies - go!" and my new buddy immediately descended without so much as a "how do you do." So, there's not much I could do but follow. The whole dive was a real cluster . . . .

Well you could have not followed. But anyway, highsight is always better :) This happened to me early on when I was diving - my buddy had an ear problem and I was reassigned another buddy underwater. Nothing went wrong as such but if it had I wouldn't have had the first clue about his gear! He kept showing me his computer and I could not figure out why. I found out after the dive he was trying to show me his air pressure to keep me informed of how he was going - which was nice but confusing underwater :wink:. So I try to avoid this kind of situation now.

During our pool training earlier this month the guys took it upon themselves to switch around "buddy breathing" with each other. The next pool training is going to have the entire team breathing off one tank and one reg. That's where air sharing and management comes in real handy. :wink:

Gary D.

Practicing buddy share in the pool is great we did that during our training. The instuctor and dive cons were doing it and some of us joined in. It was'nt part of our training but it was used in the pool I think so we could at least try it old school. Ive had a few equipment malfunctions (free flows) the don't panic idea was tough but I managed. Octo all the way or no way for my buddy and I.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom