Buddys or Sand Dollar for certifying 10/12 yos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wateraddiction

Registered
Reaction score
I like the look of the Sand Dollar units so much more than Buddy's 2 bd apts but everyone raves about how well Buddy's work with kids (no sea camp going on while we're there). Buddy's packages are more expensive than if I book Sand Dollar/Dive Friends/Avis truck -- is there a reason for this? Are both shops fine with parents going off and diving while kids get trained?

My priorities 1. kids enjoy the process 2. dishwasher (don't see one in the pics of Buddy's kitchens) 3. easy access to a good house reef

Do both! Stay at Sand Dollar and do the kid’s classes through Buddy’s! This is a very workable option.

Dive Friends operates the facilities at Sand Dollar. This is coming from someone who doesn’t have kids, but whose wife took classes from Dive Friends. Dive Friends has some good trainers, you just don’t know if you’re going to get them. This is, mainly, because they rotate their staff through the 6 locations and boats.

As for going off while the kids are training, I can’t answer that. I suggest contacting them.

Regarding priority #2, make sure you specify dishwasher at Sand Dollar. These are privately owned condos, so depends on what the owner put in.

Lastly, the “you win either way” priority. #3 they both have good house reefs. Also, if the current is mild, you can do parts of both from either location.

Don’t know if that helped, but I truly hope it did at least a little. We have met many people who own units in Sand Dollar, as well as people who were staying in either Buddy’s or Sand Dollar, and have heard nothing but good things about both.

You’re gonna have a great trip!

Erik

This great idea never occurred to me. So we can drop the kids off at Buddy's for their open water dives and the parents buy air packages with Dive Friends at SD which would allow us to all use their pier and facilities at Sand Dollar.

I'm looking on vrbo so I'd book a specific SD unit with full kitchen and dishwasher. I know Buddy's would have more kids around and nice pools for them to play in, but their basic kitchenettes don't look set up for cooking meals. I'm still confused as to why Buddy's prices out higher and feel like I'm missing something -- maybe it's that their general facilities are superior even if the units aren't that nice?

Yeah, every time we go through the numbers we find that we’re better off staying at someplace like Sand Dollar or Den Laman, using Dive Friends, and renting a truck ourselves. Plus, those 2 places have a better view than Buddy’s.

It is pretty much the same house reef. Buddy's side is arguably better, more of a wall, but there is stuff in the sand to the left of SD too. And the little boat.

I have a feeling Buddy's packages work better for 6+ people, SD is cheaper if you can all fit in one unit. They will bring you an extra bed, too, if you ask for it.

Also, at one point there were rumours about Avis charging clean-up fees for the sand in their cars. No idea if that's stil the case. (We always rent from AB: they're not great trucks but we need full insurance and so far their price w/ total coverage has been the best.)

Hold it, what little boat? Or, are you thinking of Capt Don’s?

Got it! I thought were you saying it was on Bari. My bad.

Well it's not that far left off the pier... yes, technically it's a different "site", but just like the Buddy reef, you can dive it from Sand Dollar.

Back
Top Bottom