Buddy check feature removed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrcandy

Registered
Reaction score
According to Oceanic's website they are removing the Buddy Check feature from all their air-integrated products as of Nov 1, 2011.
Anyone know why?

Will removal of Buddy Check affect existing units that currently have the feature when a new firmware is made availableto fix/update other issues?

This notification can be found on the web page for each air integrated computer that featured the Buddy Pressure Check:

"Please Note: OC1 units shipped after November 1, 2011 no longer feature Buddy Pressure Check."

I tried the feature a few times, but you have to be so close to the person, it's more or a pain than a plus, so I don't think I'll miss it a whole lot...

I have to agree, I won't miss it either. When we got our VT3 computers, I was excited about the buddy check feature, but in reality by the time I'm close enough to use it, I'm close enough to see my husband's computer screen! It winds up being easier just to ask.

Oceanic just removed the "Buddy Check" wordage from the literature on the new products. It has something to do with a legal issue regarding a trademarking or registration of the wording "Buddy Check". All of the hoseless, air integrated computers (Atom 3.0, VT4, OC1) can still be used with multiple transmitters for deco gas, pony bottles, etc. So, to get the buddy check feature, you just need to input your buddy's transmitter code into your computer, and you'll have the buddy check feature.

Brad

Oceanic just removed the "Buddy Check" wordage from the literature on the new products. It has something to do with a legal issue regarding a trademarking or registration of the wording "Buddy Check". All of the hoseless, air integrated computers (Atom 3.0, VT4, OC1) can still be used with multiple transmitters for deco gas, pony bottles, etc. So, to get the buddy check feature, you just need to input your buddy's transmitter code into your computer, and you'll have the buddy check feature.

Brad

Thanks, that's great news - but not very apparent from the Oceanic website. One question, and although I have an Atom 2 that supports buddy check, I haven't actually used it, so I may not have things 100% correct here.

When an additional transmitter is used for a buddy check there is a button sequence that shows you your buddy's tank pressure on a transient display that will revert back to main dive mode, either after a short period of time, or after another button sequence.

When an additional transmitter is used for deco gas, pony bottle, etc. it's configured as such and you need to use a different button sequence to switch tanks. This sequence is more permanent and doesn't time out, although you could always enter the button sequence a second time to switch back.

With units shipped after nov. 1, is that first method of operation still available, even if not called buddy check for legal reasons? Or will I have to 'switch' tanks to check and then switch back?

I have the old copy of the Atom3 manual downloaded, and I just downloaded the new version. In comparing the two it seems that Oceanic simply removed the pages/diagrams that dealt with buddy check (as opposed to calling it something else). To me this implies that switching would be necessary.

So is it just an update to the manual to delete the buddy check words, or is there a change to the firmware as well?

If anyone from Oceanic is listening, it would be nice to get some clarification on this change.

@divemaven and @andydragon - thanks for the feedback on buddy check's actual usefulness. I was aware of the distance limits, but since I have the atom 2 already, I had limited my search for a new DC to units from Oceanic specifically to use the buddy check feature. Only to find out that it has been 'removed'.

Brad

I don't think that's entirely accurate. I just looked up the the term "buddy check" and it looks like Oceanic has owned this trademark since 2007 and it's still active.

Trademarks Home

Select "2" for check marks" , and search for basic. From there enter "buddy check".

"Buddy pressure check" is owned by oceanic. "Buddy check" is a dead trademark.

Even thought it wasn't a great feature, I'm quite annoyed by their level of communication. The cardinal rule of creating a product is to never remove a feature in your field base.
I have a VT3 and that was definitely shipped out before Nov 1st. They removed the feature to set the buddy now even on that.

Anyone have the previous version of ocean log? The latest one removed buddy check, I was stupid enough to download the latest one.

Anyone have the previous version of ocean log? The latest one removed buddy check, I was stupid enough to download the latest one.

You should still be OK. Even if support for buddy check has been removed from your version of Oceanlog, you can still turn it on and program your buddies transmitter s/n via the DC itself.

However, if I send the DC in for service and they upgrade the FW, or I want to download a new FW for units that support it, then I suspect you would lose the buddy check feature.

I agree that Oceanic should not be removing features from units already sold.

It would be nice if Oceanic would state what impact this change has to owners of DC's purchased prior to Nov. 1, 2011.

You should still be OK. Even if support for buddy check has been removed from your version of Oceanlog, you can still turn it on and program your buddies transmitter s/n via the DC itself.

Yeah I know, but as you know as well. It's a pain in the ass every time I use Oceanlog to set my settings I have to manually go in and set the feature again manually since oceanlog wipes it out. Plus Let's admit, oceanic computers aren't the easiest to use once you have to start pressing buttons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom