Buddy Dive Resort Layout Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you fill me in Dan ? I've read a few negative things about the dive operation. Limited hours/ access to tanks/gear. Dive staff attitude. Have only read good things about the condo and house reef.

Best example is the dive orientation: Should take 1/2 hour tops. Every one in our group had been to Bonaire multiple times but even so, we basically got up and left the orientation after 1 and 1/2 hours. The guy was no where close to finishing.

The rooms are very nice but the staff are all on island time. The first time we stayed there - there was no one to pick us up at the airport (so we gave a self appointed cab driver $20) to take us to Den Laman. There was a note on the closed office door to my attention to call them when we arrived and they would come let us check in. They were supposed to have picked us up at the airport but didn't care to be bothered that particular day.

They had to call the person that was supposed to be at the rental car place to come and let us get a truck. In all fairness, that person was never told we were arriving even though I had e-mailed her boss the flight times, etc.

Part of our group was arriving later in the evening, so they gave us all the paper work and keys to that group's rooms, so that we could check them in. The staff were going home for the day. Just the way it is on the island.

Alot of unnecessary inconvenience and out $20 to boot!

So even though we enjoyed our stay there and would stay again - the accumulation of lots of little things can put a damper on the trip. Since we have been many times, it was really no big deal - all a normal day in the islands - but I can see where a new visitor could sour on the operation very quickly.

Things differently run at a much slower pace on Bonaire. But that's fine because I am going there to relax too. Remember a lot of restaurants and shops close early in town.

We've been to Sand Dollar 3 times, now. The first time, we endured the overly lengthy lecture. The next two times, we were separated from the newbies and given a 15 min talk that basically consisted of questions such as, "Are you aware that....?" or "Do you know how to ...?" or "Do you have any questions about?" This was followed by the command, "OK, now go get wet." One of these info sessions was conducted by a DM and another by Andre, the head guy. I think BDA has undergone some sensitivity training.

I wonder if all Cruise Ship passengers are required to attend the lecture before snorkeling or diving?

Best example is the dive orientation: Should take 1/2 hour tops. Every one in our group had been to Bonaire multiple times but even so, we basically got up and left the orientation after 1 and 1/2 hours. The guy was no where close to finishing.

What could they possibly talk about for 1 and 1/2 hours ?

What could they possibly talk about for 1 and 1/2 hours ?

The history of the island
The rules for diving the piers
Their favorite restaurants.
Which bars close early and which stay open
What they thought about Chavez
The cliffs of ole blue
How the winds cross the island and change dive conditions at different times of the day.
And other assorted BS
Nothing about the actual dive operation

Last time I was there they had the long version for first time divers with them and a shorter version for repeat guests. We had a couple of new folks with us but they went along with us as repeat guests. Even the short version was still longer than it needed to be. The one thing I remember as taking far to long when I did the long version was the part where Jerry, the biologist there, kept talking about all the dynamics of the reefs and it's creatures. Don't get me wrong, Jerry is a very smart guy and knows his stuff but it's a reef in the Caribbean. Not much different than all the other reefs really. Same basic fish, corals, sponges, etc. I really feel as if they should just concentrate of the X's and O's of how the dive operation works and talk about all the rest of that stuff if asked specifically. It could easily be done in 30 to 45 minutes max.

OK, I think I got it.

Them: "Been to Bonaire Before ?"

Me: "Oh yeah, we usually stay at Buddy's, love the house reef. We also like Bari reef so we figured might as well give Den Laman a try and hit our favorites like Andrea I/II, Karpata, Invisibles, then do Bari when we feel lazy. "

You have learned quickly grasshopper. :crafty:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom