Buddy diving on their computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sail-fish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

I've been diving with my GF who has a computer. I dont, I use her dads equipment which doesnt even have a compass let alone a computer. The question I have is I use about a 1/4 to a 1/3 more air than her and notice that i'm always a little deeper than her ie 0.5m to 1m deeper than her. I'm quite a fit person and dont breath much so assume that its due to the slight extra depth and being a male use a little more. Now the question is, if im consistantly a little deeper 0.5m to 1m - is this significant to cause alarm since im just relying on her computer to plan the dive? should i be extremely cautious to make sure i dont go deeper than her or is a couple of times ok. I'm new to diving so dont really know whats acceptable with these little things.

I know I should get a computer but I cant afford it just yet.

Mike

Plan your dives with the tables, and forget about your girls computer.

If you don't have a computer on your person, you are diving tables or you are being very foolish. You can have wonderful dives using tables. I dived tables for years before computers were readily available.

If you don't have a computer on your person, you are diving tables or you are being very foolish. You can have wonderful dives using tables. I dived tables for years before computers were readily available.

Plan your dives with the tables, and forget about your girls computer.

All I can add is 'ditto' and 'ditto' again. Would you trust a buddy driving a car next to yours to tell you how your engine is doing and how much gas you have using his gauge as the only indicator?

Tables will serve you well until you can afford a computer. Just remember the most important computer; we all have one (or at least most do) and it's our own brain.

I second and third the above, use the RDP you learned it for a reason.You never should rely on someone else's computer, plan your dive using the tables like you were taught yet, so many have forgotten how to do it........

My family consists of 4 divers between 11 & 38 years of age, I have only got 1 computer at this stage! The net result is I carry the computer which is now essentially a dive timer, all other info is off the tables. I also doubt whether I'll get computers for the kids until they've logged at least a couple of dozen dives in order to instill the value of tables in their minds.

I absolutely agree with the folks above. Plan and execute your dives using the tables. Even when using a computer to monitor dives, knowing your planned depth and time limits will always be worthwhile.

That said, and betting on human nature, I expect you'll still be tempted to want to go by her computer, so here's part B of my advice. If you're diving using your buddy's computer, you have to stay level with or above her at all times, and on all dives. Diving deeper than the person with the computer means that it's NDL calculations are understated and therefore meaningless for you.

I wanted to make a wise-assed comment about a third person and a 3-way with the computer and the girlfriend - but I decided not to. Instead, I'll just answer, "dive according to tables".

Computers are great. Until they crap out. Smart divers check their tables before the dive, write down the info, and may well bring the tables with them in case the dive plan changes and can recalculate on the fly. Be a smart diver. Always.

Dive tables until you get a computer, not only is this safer,in the long run it will make you a better diver because you're forced to plan your dives and surface intervals. When you get a computer you won't be reliant upon it and you should have a better understanding of what it's doing for you.

Back
Top Bottom